Sign in to follow this  

Rotella T question

Am I nuts for using the 15w40 synthetic or regular in this bike

It's mainly a woods/some track use

Last owner used Belray and raced it full time

Thanks in advance

rotella triple protection 15w40 (Ive used this in all my bikes, 2 stroke, 4 stroke, clutch, engine, change every 5-10 hours dependng on abuse)

rotella t6 5w40 synthetic if you have to have "synthetic" 

I get the triple at walmart 5gal pale for 75$

• Like 1

Rotella is actually very good in mx bikes.

I won't get into a long drawn out post but search some of the millions of oil threads and you will find more info than you care to read. I have posted some results from oil samples I have sent in as well. 

• Like 1

I just went through the same internal debate myself - after hours of research and peering through oil analysis, I will be running triple t in my bikes from now on.

• Like 1

i run t6, but I ran the t before. t6 breaks down fast so change every 3-7 hours. just keep checking it

how come t6 breaks down fast? this stuff is made for use in diesel engines running 10,000mi between changes and lasting a million miles.

Not saying you arent correct, just wondering what information you have to back that statement up

Edited by adam8781

how come t6 breaks down fast? this stuff is made for use in diesel engines running 10,000mi between changes and lasting a million miles.

Not saying you arent correct, just wondering what information you have to back that statement up

It does't at least not from my test results. Blackstone labs did the tests.

You cannot go wrong with Rotella. Great oil! I've used it in my street bikes, race bike, car and dirt bike for years (since Mobil 1 stopped making the oil I use to use).

It does't at least not from my test results. Blackstone labs did the tests.

can you publish them, ive seen guys put t6 in trucks and tdi jettas. make it 10k miles and blackstone says try 15k miles because it had so much life left.

can you publish them, ive seen guys put t6 in trucks and tdi jettas. make it 10k miles and blackstone says try 15k miles because it had so much life left.

yes I will post them tomorrow when I get home from work. I do not have them with me.
  • Like 1

something to bear in mind, is the oil contamination on a bike will happen quickly due to the clutches, I wounder if aluminum contamination is why Blackstone says its breaking down? 

something to bear in mind, is the oil contamination on a bike will happen quickly due to the clutches, I wounder if aluminum contamination is why Blackstone says its breaking down?

UOA testing differentiates between contaminants and loss of viscosity.

I always thought about it like this:

Diesel engines run so hot and have a very high compression ratio when compared to motocross engines....and so running an oil that does so well in diesel applications is a no brainer.

That is the summed up version obviously..but its very interesting reading- give it a Google!