Sign in to follow this  

04 crf250r won't stay running unless choke is on

I have a 2004 crf250r I can start the bike with the choke but it won't stay running with out the choke and if it shuts off I have to bump start it kicking it won't work unless the choke is back on what could this be

I had a similar problem on one of my kids 250s, seems it was the spark plug. AS long as the bike would rev high it would run, soon as you turn of the choke it would die.

Yours might be a clogged jet. But after taking the jets out of his bike they where fine, so I changed the plug and it ran.

I had a similar problem on one of my kids 250s, seems it was the spark plug. AS long as the bike would rev high it would run, soon as you turn of the choke it would die.

Yours might be a clogged jet. But after taking the jets out of his bike they where fine, so I changed the plug and it ran.

Ok thank you I will try the plug and I'm gonna take off the carb and clean it any way. What do you use to take the plug out I used a plug remover for a snowmobile so I was wondering if you use something else?

Take a look at your hot start cable make sure it has some play at the leaver and that it is not stuck open gives similar problems to a clogged pilot jet.

Could I use any type of spray cleaner or stuff that goes in the gas or am I gonna have to take the carb off and take it apart to clean it. I know how to do it just would like to save time if possible

Undo the carb retaining clips with a screw driver one each side of the carb twist the carb so that the float bowl is facing you take the 17mm cap/nut of the bottom of the float bowl then using a long flat bladed screwdriver you can remove the pilot jet and clean it out reasemble and you should be good to go.

Undo the carb retaining clips with a screw driver one each side of the carb twist the carb so that the float bowl is facing you take the 17mm cap/nut of the bottom of the float bowl then using a long flat bladed screwdriver you can remove the pilot jet and clean it out reasemble and you should be good to go.

I don't have a closer picture but is it on the bottom I took everything offImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398715673.344991.jpg