Sign in to follow this  

Need some help with my trusty steed

My 96 XR 400 with just about every mod you can think of has let me down for the first time -( I will say my last ride was uneventful.   It was a long cold winter here and the only use my bike got was me going out in the garage and starting it once or twice a month.  FF 4/27 I change the oil/filter dump some fresh gas in her wipe it all down, check air pressure, etc.  4 kicks and she fires right off I go in the house and get my helmet and gloves ( all the while the bike runs ) push the bike out of the garage and pull the clutch in a few times the go to drop it in gear and stalls right out ( NO CLUTCH ) so I get it in neutral fire it off again and same thing?  The clutch is not engaging to allow me to put the bike in gear, I fiddle around with cable adjustments and same result. 

So now I tear into it and get the whole nine yards out of it.  How do I determine if the basket needs replacing ( there is slight grooving where the fiber disk end sits )  but how much is too much ?  Does anyone have spec's on what the fiber disks and metal spacers as well as sprins should mic out at?

Thanks in advance!

Fiber discs- .115"- .121" Limit- .106"

Plates- check for warpage. Limit- .012"

Springs- 1.79". Limit- 1.75"

Slight grooving of the basket fingers are not a problem. Lightly draw file them to knock the tops off and let it go. Don't try to remove all of it

Its possible, after having sit during the winter, the discs and plates were froze up, locked together. Not uncommon. I bet, baring finding anything else obviously wrong, now that you've taken it apart, once you put it back together It will probably work fine.

Be sure to take a good look at the clutch lifter piece and the spindle end of the clutch arm/lever for damage.

Edited by Trailryder42

Fiber discs- .115"- .121" Limit- .106"

Plates- check for warpage. Limit- .012"

Springs- 1.79". Limit- 1.75"

Slight grooving of the basket fingers are not a problem. Lightly draw file them to knock the tops off and let it go. Don't try to remove all of it

Its possible, after having sit during the winter, the discs and plates were froze up, locked together. Not uncommon. I bet, baring finding anything else obviously wrong, now that you've taken it apart, once you put it back together It will probably work fine.

Be sure to take a good look at the clutch lifter piece and the spindle end of the clutch arm/lever for damage.

Thanks for the info, I know I really need a manual.  Everything looked good only minor marks on the basket ( I knocked them off  ).  The plates were a bit stuck together and there was a slight smell.

Well upon further inspection and the info Trailryder gave me the only problem I can see is that my springs are waaay out of spec.  I simple swipe with the tape measure verified that.  Should I go with Honda OEM springs?