Sign in to follow this  

just picked up a 2013 450

just got a 2013 450. switching from a 09. just wondering what mods people have done to their bike. haven't done much research on these newer chassis.

just got a 2013 450. switching from a 09. just wondering what mods people have done to their bike. haven't done much research on these newer chassis.

stock up on fork seals.

slip on pipe and new ecu tune really wakes it up.

it came with a full Yoshi exhaust. I have a set of rg3 clamps from my 09 but someone told me the bottom steering bearing is diferent and I might have to swap that out?

Yes swap bottom bearing to pre 09 bearing

Stock offset is 24mm you might be changeing it delending on what offset your clamps are

I think its funny when everyone says "stock up on fork seals".....got over 90 hours on my 13 and have yet to have a seal fail. Suspension been serviced 5 times at the normal racer interval.

I'd point the finger more at the lack of proper maintenance than the seal or the fork being the issue.

I think a high comp piston and cam is going to be your best mod for the money, even over an exhaust system.

I had an entire thread on this

I also traded in my 09 for a 13

I bought mine as a new left over though

If i can find the link for you ill post it but i have a feeling it was deleted 

The thread as a big long list of good mods to do for under $1500

The first things i did was the following

-Rekluse core EXP expensive but awesome

-ASV levers and new grips

-just got my suspension revalved

-New renthal 49 or 50 rear sprocket

I did the 49. It was enough for me

And i did some tires but not really applicable

Next will be a pipe and remap

As far as fork seals go, try the skf ones and get a revolve by someone you trust. ITs worth every penny if you have never had a suspension done before

Just my 2 cents

Edited by automagp68

I agree the air forks don't blow seals any more or less than spring style,you get a nick spring or air oil leaks out not air.If you don't buff the damage out it will cut the new seal and leak.A cheaper route to bump compression is cometic thinner head & base gaskets under $100 for around 13+  to 1,cam, remap,or even better the vortex is really good rev limit bumped up to 500 over stock.If you must buy a pipe fmf single makes power everywhere top to bottom, still not as good , compression/cam/remap.Motor wise remap is #1,stock is off, way off.

Edited by galligar

Yes swap bottom bearing to pre 09 bearing

Stock offset is 24mm you might be changeing it delending on what offset your clamps are

what do you mean by pre 09? can I just take my 13 bearing and switch it with my 09 bearing?

Yea your 13 bearing is same as pre 09 bearings. And eddie is right stock offset is 20mm not 24mm

awesome thanks for the imput guys! anyone know if that complete ride eng link setup is worth the money? I had the merge knuckle on my 09 and I know that made a HUGE difference. also I have a magura hydraulic clutch. wondering if that would fit on my 13

FC has really good setting for the Hondas ,I have a 1/2 doz. friends with 13s nobody runs a different linkage.Who cares you have it try it, it might be the s---.

Edited by galligar

awesome thanks for the imput guys! anyone know if that complete ride eng link setup is worth the money? I had the merge knuckle on my 09 and I know that made a HUGE difference. also I have a magura hydraulic clutch. wondering if that would fit on my 13

Did you save the merge from the 09?

We have the merge on our 13.

It was left over from some of the older bikes, so I put it on the 13 just to see how it acted.

ya I put the magura on. and ya I still have the merge knuckle. Im just going to try it stock and then see if I want to put it on. anybody run a 14/52 gearing on 13? I loved that gearing on my 09. I read somewhere that they didn't change anything in the gear ratio so I don't know why it wouldn't be just as good for me

Agree w/others on the fork seals- no better or worse than standard seals. I have 26 hrs on mine- race expert mx in my vet club and another friend has 30+ hrs and he is also on factory seals..I might mention I use the RocKShock Velcro seal covers, I really like those things and I believe they will be a big help with leaking seals. They cover the vulnerable portion of the fork shafts pretty good and they are $20 bucks.

For me the stock gearing was way to high- I have been inching my way to 51 which I will try this w/e, happier w/ each move up 1 tooth at a time.

Had over 30 hours on my stock sealings before leakage. Then I put new SKF in there, lasted like 4 hours until i they started leaking on a sandtrack, just got some tiny tiny pieces of rock stuck in the sealing and that's enough... Just had to take it apart and clean to get them to work again. They're really sensitive depending on what surface you are riding on.