RFS Fuel Tank Options Needed

I'm hoping someone can help with a fuel tank selection issue on my 2007 KTM 450 EXC. I currently have a Clarke tank installed...but after installing an FMF Power Bomb header and Q4 silencer, I noticed the header was dangerously close to the bottom of my tank. Well I rose it that way a few times and removed the tank to inspect...not good the tank plastic is melting from the heat of the pipe. I though of wrapping the pipe with header wrap but again, it's so close I'm not sure there is enough room to make it work. I have done much in the way of controlling coolant temps by installing the following: fan, Samsco hose kit with the thermostat deleted, Evans waterless coolant, etc.

All the above being said, I believe my options are the stock tank, Clarke, or IMS. I think the IMS tank would solve my current issue but, I don't want to remove my fan. Are there any other oversize tank options? Maybe something from different KTM model that would be plug and play?

Thanks in advance!!!! I may be slow to respond to posts as, I'm currently traveling....but will eventually respond.

Thanks! I will keep that in mind. I recently invested in a Seat Concepts seat so, would rather not have to reinvest unless there are no other alternatives. By chance, do you know what is different about the tank that requires a new seat?

Regarding the FMF Power Bomb header, it really isn't all that much different in shape / installation location.....just enough to cause issues though. I had the Clarke tank installed with the stock header and while it was tight, there was just enough space to keep things happy...have the entire underside of the tank insulated to help a bit.

I am not familiar with your specific bike, but . . . you deleted the thermostat?

That might be your problem.

I grew up in Phoenix, Arizona, where keeping a car running cool during the Summer months can be a challenge. If you remove the thermostat on many cars, the engine actually runs HOTTER. This is because if you remove the thermostat, the coolant flows through the radiator so fast it does not have time to transfer the heat to the radiator. The thermostat actually SLOWS the flow of coolant down in the radiator so it has time to transfer the heat from the coolant to the radiator.

Do you know what your bike's operating temperature is? If not, I would bring it up to operating temperature, and record the temp. Then put the thermostat back in and see what the operating temp is. I bet it is cooler with the thermostat.

Also, I have had good luck with coolant additives like Red Line's Water Wetter.

They work by breaking the surface tension of the coolant, which allows a more efficient transfer of heat to the radiator.

Excess heat will quickly kill an engine - I would want to make sure the engine is running at the correct temperature before I did anything else.

The difference in the seat/tank is the angle of the slope. 

Thanks, Betarocker! By looking at the right side photo, it looks like the tank shape might work well for the clearance issue I'm describing. Does this tank have integral shrouds (i.e. Filled with fuel) or is the photo just tricking my eyes?

BTW...looks like one hell of a fun ride you were on!!!

I am not familiar with your specific bike, but . . . you deleted the thermostat?

That might be your problem.

I grew up in Phoenix, Arizona, where keeping a car running cool during the Summer months can be a challenge. If you remove the thermostat on many cars, the engine actually runs HOTTER. This is because if you remove the thermostat, the coolant flows through the radiator so fast it does not have time to transfer the heat to the radiator. The thermostat actually SLOWS the flow of coolant down in the radiator so it has time to transfer the heat from the coolant to the radiator.

Do you know what your bike's operating temperature is? If not, I would bring it up to operating temperature, and record the temp. Then put the thermostat back in and see what the operating temp is. I bet it is cooler with the thermostat.

Also, I have had good luck with coolant additives like Red Line's Water Wetter.

They work by breaking the surface tension of the coolant, which allows a more efficient transfer of heat to the radiator.

Excess heat will quickly kill an engine - I would want to make sure the engine is running at the correct temperature before I did anything else.

The thermostat on a 2007+ EXC is largely to comply with emissions regulations...to get the engine up to temp faster. That being said, pre-2007 EXC's and all other off-road 4-stoke variants do not come with a thermostat. By removing the thermostat and installing Samsco hoses you eliminate a huge cooling restriction. The only thing you need to watch is running the bike hard on a cold day before operating temps are normal.

Water wetter is a great product but the downside is you risk freezing your coolant, if you don't drain and replace when the weather gets cold. Evans Powersports coolant is a completely waterless coolant with a very high boiling point. Evans can not freeze...will only gel in extremely cold temperatures. Here is their product link: http://www.evanscooling.com/products/coolants/

I use a MXC tank on mine and it is the ticket I think. I get 100mi or so per tank in the desert, the EXC seat will fit, but the gap catches your boot top.

Good to know...thanks!

Any issues or concerns with the integral radiator shrouds being susceptible to damage easily? My bro has a similar style tank on an XR650 and although he's never had any issues, it's always been an outstanding question of mine. Don't get me wrong, I never plan to have a decent off on my bike but if I do, I want to be assured that I won't loose all my fuel and be stranded.

Also, I'm assuming this answer is yes but could you confirm this tank works with the KTM fan?

I dont need or use rad guards cuz the tank is tuff enuf to do the job instead. I have a fan on both sides of my bike, 06 525EXC, but not a KTM fan, so I cant say for sure but I think it does. There are some rubber spacers that bolt on to the rads to keep the MXC tank from rubbing, look those up on the MXC parts list.

Edited by Mike in Fresno

I have a KTM fan. Fits properly.

I dont need or use rad guards cuz the tank is tuff enuf to do the job instead. I have a fan on both sides of my bike, 06 525EXC, but not a KTM fan, so I cant say for sure but I think it does. There are some rubber spacers that bolt on to the rads to keep the MXC tank from rubbing, look those up on the MXC parts list.

Thanks guys!

I am extremly close to pulling the trigger on a tank for my bike...

Right now I'm trying to decide between the following two options:

Option #1: 2005 MXC 13L tank

Option #2: Safari Trail 15L tank (http://justgastanks.com/product_info.php?products_id=484)

Pro's & Con's:

Option #1 Pro's - KTM tank, capactiy is slightly larger than my current Clarke tank, integral tank radiator shrouds offer protection, KTM fan compatible

Option #1 Con - would need to purchase a new seat for proper fitment (I just purchased a new Seat Concepts seat last year and don't want to have to purchase another)

Option #2 Pro's - capacity is slightly larger than my current Clarke tank, capactiy is 2L larger than the 2005 MXC tank, integral tank radiator shrouds offer protection, KTM fan compatible, offered in both orange and translucent, 2007 Seat Concepts seat should fit

Option #2 Con - pricey

All the above being said, assuming all items are purchased new, the MXC tank runs $355 and the Safari Trail tank runs $475. That being said, since I would need a new seat for the MXC tank, I would need to add $160 (not including the pan) for a new Seat Concepts seat. Considering this, the real cost of the MXC option for me would be north of $515.

So here's my question...anyone have any experience with the Safari Trail tank? At first glance, it seems very expensive but, considering the extra cost of a new seat for the MXC tank, it now seems to be the cheaper option.

Munn Racing offers a 20% discount when logging and registering through KTMtalk. Just another way to lower price of the MXC tank/seat. Be aware that you need to order a cap and gasket too.

Thanks, Betarocker!!!

I was leaning towards giving the Safari tank based on the extra capacity and total $'s required to put the MXC tank and seat combo on. Placed an order and learned there is a 6-8 week lead time for both colors. I honestly can't wait that long so, I decided to go the more $ route and ordered the tank, seat, and radiator / tank bushings. Hopefully they are in stock or not unobtainable.

Munn Racing offers a 20% discount when logging and registering through KTMtalk. Just another way to lower price of the MXC tank/seat. Be aware that you need to order a cap and gasket too.

Thanks again...you saved me a ton of $!!!

Thanks!...I would have missed that detail. It was not obvious on the parts list...they were listed on the engine cooling section (which makes sense but not where I would have looked).