Sign in to follow this  

05' kx 125 kick start jammed?

so I've had a search and can't really seem to find much about this. I've had the bike 2 weeks, used it last weekend twice and it was running perfect. i changed the oil, plug, filter and fuel as soon as i got the bike. last weekend i got home, washed it then started it to let it dry off. got it out today, went to kick it up but it wouldn't kick. the kickstart goes down as normal to where it would start getting compression but just won't go any further. tried bump starting it but i get nothing, the bike doesn't even turn over. took the plug out and tried then to see if it would turn over but still nothing?? I'm thinking the piston is jammed? but I'm no expert as I'm asking you lot :).. i left the bike in the van and used my mates, then i lost my phone, so I'm having a really bad day.

any feedback would be great, thanks ramps

You'll never really know unless you tear into it. Could be main bearings are hooped, could be piston seizure. A whole host of things really.

• Like 2

so I've had a search and can't really seem to find much about this. I've had the bike 2 weeks, used it last weekend twice and it was running perfect. i changed the oil, plug, filter and fuel as soon as i got the bike. last weekend i got home, washed it then started it to let it dry off. got it out today, went to kick it up but it wouldn't kick. the kickstart goes down as normal to where it would start getting compression but just won't go any further. tried bump starting it but i get nothing, the bike doesn't even turn over. took the plug out and tried then to see if it would turn over but still nothing?? I'm thinking the piston is jammed? but I'm no expert as I'm asking you lot :).. i left the bike in the van and used my mates, then i lost my phone, so I'm having a really bad day.

any feedback would be great, thanks ramps

Does sound like it is seized up.  :thumbsdn: Don't try to start it anymore causing further damage until you inspect it  . I'd start by pulling the cylinder head and exhaust ,  Is it a 2 stroke or 4 i guess i should ask first? 

Does sound like it is seized up.  :thumbsdn: Don't try to start it anymore causing further damage until you inspect it  . I'd start by pulling the cylinder head and exhaust ,  Is it a 2 stroke or 4 i guess i should ask first? 

its a 2 stroke. i started when i got home to strip it down. i was tired and annoyed , got half way through and gave up. I'm gonna take the head off this week but i don't no what to look for when  i do this. I'm guessing to see if theres any damage to the piston,ring or barrel. i hope its something simple and i don't have to get the barrel bored out and sleeved.. could it not be on the kickstart side, like the kickstart gear jammed? thanks

You'll never really know unless you tear into it. Could be main bearings are hooped, could be piston seizure. A whole host of things really.

Agree, you'll have to dig into it.  Last thing you ever want to do is "bump: start it when you know something is jammed in there.  It can be as easy as your kick shaft, to possible something jamming up your main drive gear, to what others say of being seized.  I say before anything, take the clutch cover off and do some inspecting.  If it looks good in there, then your next step would be to take off your head and inspect the piston and see what condition that's in.  Take some pictures and post them here for us to check out as you go along.  Can't hurt to get some differences of opinions before you dig too deep.  :devil:

• Like 1

Agree, you'll have to dig into it.  Last thing you ever want to do is "bump: start it when you know something is jammed in there.  It can be as easy as your kick shaft, to possible something jamming up your main drive gear, to what others say of being seized.  I say before anything, take the clutch cover off and do some inspecting.  If it looks good in there, then your next step would be to take off your head and inspect the piston and see what condition that's in.  Take some pictures and post them here for us to check out as you go along.  Can't hurt to get some differences of opinions before you dig too deep.  :devil:

yeh I'm just trying to get some ideas together as to what it could be..  i would take pics but i lost my phone today and thats my only source of a camera ha. if i get a new one this week i will post some pics in.

my mate said my piston sounded like it was rattling and to change it soon as.. was only taking it out for a few hours today. nothing serious plodding about on an old pit so i thought id be ok and i was gonna replace the piston this week anyways. so this is why I'm thinking its the piston (forgot to mention,sorry)

yeh I'm just trying to get some ideas together as to what it could be..  i would take pics but i lost my phone today and thats my only source of a camera ha. if i get a new one this week i will post some pics in.

my mate said my piston sounded like it was rattling and to change it soon as.. was only taking it out for a few hours today. nothing serious plodding about on an old pit so i thought id be ok and i was gonna replace the piston this week anyways. so this is why I'm thinking its the piston (forgot to mention,sorry)

Like these guys say it could really be a number of things, piston skirt broken off, broken power valve dropped down ( highly unlikely but seen it ) to even bearings seized up hopefully not. What kinda bike is it ? I've got a few honda parts laying around i need to sell off to recoop some carb money  :lol:

Like these guys say it could really be a number of things, piston skirt broken off, broken power valve dropped down ( highly unlikely but seen it ) to even bearings seized up hopefully not. What kinda bike is it ? I've got a few honda parts laying around i need to sell off to recoop some carb money  :lol:

hope your having me on here   'kind of bike is it'   '2 stroke or 4stroke'

hope your having me on here   'kind of bike is it'   '2 stroke or 4stroke'

I have a few 00-01 cr250 parts is all i was saying , i never seen where you posted brand or size of your bike just that it was a 2 stroke. 

I have a few 00-01 cr250 parts is all i was saying , i never seen where you posted brand or size of your bike just that it was a 2 stroke. 

not having a go just thought you was joking.. says in the title 05 kx 125 

ooops sorry  :facepalm: you could always make it a custom kawiyamahondaktmsuzuki  :rolleyes:

haha i might give it a go, whats them parts you've got ha :p

• Like 1

haha i might give it a go, whats them parts you've got ha :p

I got a cylinder from an o1 cr250 brake rotors from an 05 cr250 radiators , footpegs, two seats black or red , set of pink plastics ( really faded red ones ) but still cool for breast cancer awareness month , fairly new 21" dunlop , front and rear calipers from an 03 125 .   pick some stuff up from craigslist and ebay you'll be riding in no time.  :lol:

If the piston moves freely, and the crank does too, is it possible the kickstarter is stripped or something? If there's no compression, then there's a leak somewhere between the combustion chamber and crankcase.

No turning over when bump starting, and he CAN shift it into gear while bump starting and it doesn't skid to a stop would mean the piston is not seized, since the rear wheel still spins, unless he damaged something internally while doing so.

Open 'er up and check it out.

Could very well be.  If you're mate knows anything about motors, then he's likely right. Let us know what it ends up being.  Your input here will help many others down the road and is why I encourage most to post pics before and after to help others.  :devil: 

If the piston moves freely, and the crank does too, is it possible the kickstarter is stripped or something? If there's no compression, then there's a leak somewhere between the combustion chamber and crankcase.

No turning over when bump starting, and he CAN shift it into gear while bump starting and it doesn't skid to a stop would mean the piston is not seized, since the rear wheel still spins, unless he damaged something internally while doing so.

Open 'er up and check it out.

the kick won't budge to get any compression.. and it goes into gear but doesn't bump as it just skids which i making me think the piston is seized?

Could very well be.  If you're mate knows anything about motors, then he's likely right. Let us know what it ends up being.  Your input here will help many others down the road and is why I encourage most to post pics before and after to help others.   :devil:

yeh course i will, should hopefully have it sorted by the weekend :thumbsup:

• Like 1

OK, it could be a number of things like mentioned. But just to give you an idea of how crazy stuff can happen, Last weekend the kickstarter on the 2fitty was sticking down. Ok so no biggie, I'll tear into it and figure it out. Well finally get around to it Friday night with a race on Sat. Come to find out, 3 of the 6 pressure plate bolts backed out and was hitting the clutch cover. It was probably about 10 laps from cutting all the way through. But we're still good so it went back on and made the race with no issues. I did use 4 cans of brake parts cleaners cleaning out the entire side and trans areas.

Pretty, Huh?

image_zpsa50d5155.jpg

Edited by SAPPERS

OK, it could be a number of things like mentioned. But just to give you an idea of how crazy stuff can happen, Last weekend the kickstarter on the 2fitty was sticking down. Ok so no biggie, I'll tear into it and figure it out. Well finally get around to it Friday night with a race on Sat. Come to find out, 3 of the 6 pressure plate bolts backed out and was hitting the clutch cover. It was probably about 10 laps from cutting all the way through. But we're still good so it went back on and made the race with no issues. I did use 4 cans of brake parts cleaners cleaning out the entire side and trans areas.

Pretty, Huh?

image_zpsa50d5155.jpg

haha yeh you've done a good job there!  lucky as well! probably strip mine down tomorrow to have a look. let you all know how i get on