Sign in to follow this  

rmz 450 is leaking coolant

Just bought a 2005 rmz 450 and after a few minutes of leting it warmup it started to leak coolant not sure what is wrong took the top end apart and everything looks good cant find the problem for this please help

Just bought a 2005 rmz 450 and after a few minutes of leting it warmup it started to leak coolant not sure what is wrong took the top end apart and everything looks good cant find the problem for this please help

leaking from where?

It looks like its leaking from the head gasket but the gasket looked fine when i took it apart

It looks like its leaking from the head gasket but the gasket looked fine when i took it apart

I think you jumped the gun a little here Nick.  You should of spent a little more time while it was together to find where the coolant was coming from.  If you look hard enough, you can find it.  But once you tear it apart, it can be anywhere.  It would probably piss you off to know that it might of been coming out of the overflow tube, so I'll leave it at that.  I say at this point, put it all back together and check again. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. :devil:

• Like 1

I think you jumped the gun a little here Nick.  You should of spent a little more time while it was together to find where the coolant was coming from.  If you look hard enough, you can find it.  But once you tear it apart, it can be anywhere.  It would probably piss you off to know that it might of been coming out of the overflow tube, so I'll leave it at that.  I say at this point, put it all back together and check again. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. :devil:

haha. its normal on 4 strokes isn't it? as they over heat.. or am i wrong ?

I belive that it is coming from internal becouse I did see bubbling from the gasket when it was running but Im going to get the actual head checked to make sure there are no cracks or warped then i will put it back together with all new gaskets and i hope that will fix the problem

• Like 2

I belive that it is coming from internal becouse I did see bubbling from the gasket when it was running but Im going to get the actual head checked to make sure there are no cracks or warped then i will put it back together with all new gaskets and i hope that will fix the problem

I hate doing that on anything i work on , may be ocd or something. I have the head worked looking at it all clean , So i may as well re-plate the cylinder and put in a new top end kit, gotta replace the cam chain and tensioner and guides , Well i got this far may as well split the cases and throw in a crank kit and all new bearings , don't forget the oil pump and re-gasket the whole engine . Shit i'm broke again! :facepalm:

Drips and leaks are tricky and is why I said make sure before you tear it apart.  Coolant has a way of travelling to confuse you where it's actually coming from.  Let us know how you make out. :devil:

haha. its normal on 4 strokes isn't it? as they over heat.. or am i wrong ?

Can't say for sure as I don't own a 4T, but leaks are pretty common when it comes to just about any type of vehicle.  I had a leak on my YZ360 smoker thinking I was done for.  As it turned out, it was just a loose hose clamp. :devil:

Drips and leaks are tricky and is why I said make sure before you tear it apart.  Coolant has a way of travelling to confuse you where it's actually coming from.  Let us know how you make out. :devil:

When the coolant came out it was pouring out not dripping I dont know if that has away of narowing the problem down

When the coolant came out it was pouring out not dripping I dont know if that has away of narowing the problem down

I would of just kept adding water with the engine off to pin point the leak if that was the case.  But it does sound pretty serious, so breaking it down was the right choice.  pour. Post some pictures when you get a chance, I'm dying to see where your at.   Have you had any luck yet determining anything after removing the top end? :devil:

I would of just kept adding water with the engine off to pin point the leak if that was the case.  But it does sound pretty serious, so breaking it down was the right choice.  pour. Post some pictures when you get a chance, I'm dying to see where your at.   Have you had any luck yet determining anything after removing the top end? :devil:

no not yet my mom works at a motorcycle dealership and they said they will look over the head for free the another reason i think its the internal is becouse I did hear air leaking from the engine.

no not yet my mom works at a motorcycle dealership and they said they will look over the head for free the another reason i think its the internal is becouse I did hear air leaking from the engine.

cool, let us know.  this stuff you're going through will likely come around for someone else, and I can't emphasize enough how important it is to offer up as much information here for the next guy that happens to have the same kind of bike and problem.  I come here to TT just about every day and still, I keep learning new things.  :devil:

• Like 1