Sign in to follow this  

Time for new clutch? Basket, Hub, Plates, or all 3? KTM 250sx

On my most recent ride I felt the clutch fading and not fully engaging. I pulled apart the clutch today and found the following evidence on my basket, hub, and plates. The bike and clutch has 62 hours (replaced fibers and steel once already at 35 hours) and by looking at the parts I'm not sure how worn each is and what needs replacement. Would it be normal to need a new hub and basket at 60 hours? Both the hub and basket show notching marks, though you can barely feel the notches on the hub, while the hub notches are more significant.

At what degree of wear should the basket and hub be replaced? Both parts are pricy

14041185194_9b13d8e1c9_c.jpg

14040735635_ca79dfc781_c.jpg

14017599536_6a1f919f18_c.jpg

I have always found the basket to wear out first, it looks like you have the opposite and the hub appears toast.  Your clutch basket shows very little wear in the pictures and I have run much worse than that and gotten away with filing deep grooves in a pinch.

The part I find weird is the wear on the inside of the basket fingers and on top of the hub slots.  To me it looks like your plates were bouncing around and probably out of tolerance.  Personally I have never seen a hub or basket wear on those surfaces.  What plates did you use when you replaced them at 35 hours?  My old 300 had 200+ hours on the stock clutch basket and hub.

I have always found the basket to wear out first, it looks like you have the opposite and the hub appears toast. Your clutch basket shows very little wear in the pictures and I have run much worse than that and gotten away with filing deep grooves in a pinch.

The part I find weird is the wear on the inside of the basket fingers and on top of the hub slots. To me it looks like your plates were bouncing around and probably out of tolerance. Personally I have never seen a hub or basket wear on those surfaces. What plates did you use when you replaced them at 35 hours? My old 300 had 200+ hours on the stock clutch basket and hub.

No doubt that the notches on the hub are more defined than the basket. However even the notches on the hub while visible, feel relatively minor. At what degree do the notches affect performance?

The clutch wasn't grabby, it just slipped during the latter stages of a Moto, isn't that a sign of fibers and steel needing replacement?

My previous replacement of fibers were OEM, though I'm going to try the tusk replacement kit this time, reviews are great and far less expensive

My old 300 had 200+ hours on the stock clutch basket and hub.

Is 200 hours a normal wear cycle for the hub and basket?

that basket and hub are fine mate, they are 'worn out' when the grooves are not allowing for the plates to not freely slide across when you want them too, 

Buy and fit the tusk fibres and steels kit $50 on rmatv (great kit i have them clutches on all my race bikes) , and get the hd springs too, that will most definitely eliminate the 'clutch fade' issue your having, 

hope that helps

Edited by BiggerKevo

You need to look at the flat surface at the rear of the inner hub where the friction material grabs. If you feel a lip at the inner and outter edge with your finger nail, it's time to replace the hub

I put some Tusk fibers in a CRF450 that I rode in the woods.  I had to constantly adjust the clutch on the fly, the plates would get hot and expand way too much so I'd have to adjust the clutch freeplay to take up the slack.  Then they'd cool down and I'd have to adjust the clutch freeplay again. That's the only clutch pack I've ever had that kind of extreme problem with.  I threw them away and got some EBC fibers. 

I put some Tusk fibers in a CRF450 that I rode in the woods. I had to constantly adjust the clutch on the fly, the plates would get hot and expand way too much so I'd have to adjust the clutch freeplay to take up the slack. Then they'd cool down and I'd have to adjust the clutch freeplay again. That's the only clutch pack I've ever had that kind of extreme problem with. I threw them away and got some EBC fibers.

I just installed my tusk kit tonight. I'll be on the lookout this weekend for what you mentioned. Hopefully with the hydraulic clutch and with my 2 stroke Ktm I won't encounter those same issues as you did with your honda. Would be nice to have a 50 clutch kit as a go to replacement solution over expensive OEM