Sign in to follow this  

Flywheel stuck!

Anyone know how to get a fly wheel bolt off a xr250r. Dang thing is stuck really good!

I bought a flywheel holder and I have the right size socket... but it wont budge

1398637140702.jpg

You need a fly wheel puller. It threads onto the end of the crank and when you tighten it, it pushes on the flywheel and pulls it off the crank. Even though you loosened the nut and held it from moving, its still wedged onto the splines. Flywheel pullers are cheap like 15 bucks.

No I think you misunderstood me... the 17mm nut that you need to loosen is stuck on there. I cant pry that nut off. I cant pull the flywheel off till I have the bolt out

Heat the crankshaft. When it comes loose, its going to come loose with a pop. You're going to need to add a cheater bar to the handle of that ratchet.

Ive never heater something inside the engine before... does a torch and oil mix nicely? And ok on the cheater bar!

No I think you misunderstood me... the 17mm nut that you need to loosen is stuck on there. I cant pry that nut off. I cant pull the flywheel off till I have the bolt out

You need a air wrench, maybe you can borrow or rent one?.   Great on stuck bolts/nuts and is not likely to damage anything...

Please be sure if the threads are right or left turn before getting violent..

Wait... is a 86 honda xr250r flywheel bolt lefty loosy? Or opposite? the manual doesn't say either :blink: and im to stupid to figure this out... but I would like to know before I air impact this sob

There are no left hand threads on that engine.  That bolt is torqued to 75 ft. pounds.  It's a lot easier to remove with the engine in the bike.  I used an electric Impact wrench.

Well its out of the bike... im going to try and get an air impact wrench and give it a shot! Hope it works... haha I tried some wd 40 and heat (separately and nothing has worked)

Sounds good.  Once you get the cases back together, install the engine in the bike.  It's lighter and easier to work on.

oh sorry about that
  • Like 1