So, here's a problem I've never heard of before.

When I go and shift into first gear the bike tries to take off on me.

When I try to stop in gear, if I don't give it a good rev, it will stall.

What do you guys think is wrong? I'm happy to specify on any questions you guys have for me.

Thanks.

Likely a worn basket or warped steel plain plates, meaning the clutch isnt able to fully disengage.

Ive been through the same - and replacing both sorted mine.

Like you the clutch wouldnt dissengage, action was grabby (Which i didnt really notice much - but can now ive got new parts fittted), and finding neutral was tough with the engine running.

How many hours / how old is the bike in question ?

had this on my crf450.. i replaced the clutch pads,plates and springs. filed out the grooves with a dremel on the basket and put a new cable on. worked a treat and its pretty straight forward. good luck

Likely a worn basket or warped steel plain plates, meaning the clutch isnt able to fully disengage.

Ive been through the same - and replacing both sorted mine.

Like you the clutch wouldnt dissengage, action was grabby (Which i didnt really notice much - but can now ive got new parts fittted), and finding neutral was tough with the engine running.

How many hours / how old is the bike in question ?

Bike is a '98. Likely an original clutch.

Any way to check for this.

Thanks again.

Bike is a '98. Likely an original clutch.

Any way to check for this.

Thanks again.

Pull off the right side case cover.

Make sure to drain your oil.

This is what a screwed up basket looks like.

The outer portion holding the plates is your badket. Then your plates.

I had a oil pump bolt loose that cracked the case in 3 spots and destroyed plates and basket.

It takes 30 minutes to pull off the cover and diag your basket.

You can take your basket off or just look at it generally look where mine is scored. Check your plates as well.

Hope it is your plates as they are cheap. Basket however isn't so cheap.

Ebay is all I can say.

1398639407026.jpg

Good to hear.

Most baskets have a hard anodised finish for longevity.

Filing the fingers works in the short-term, but just means they wear even quicker afterwards; giving the same problems all over again - probably worse. IF a worn basket is part of the problem - a new replacement is the only long-term answer.

yeh i didn't have the money at the time for a new basket and i new i could get a few months out of this. sold the bike in the end it was too much for me for what i needed it for

Good to hear.

Most baskets have a hard anodised finish for longevity.

Filing the fingers works in the short-term, but just means they wear even quicker afterwards; giving the same problems all over again - probably worse. IF a worn basket is part of the problem - a new replacement is the only long-term answer.

Agree and disagree as it only depends on how much was filed down

The baskets are strong and will take a beating so to speak. I have a picture above of a really scored basket. I put it into my practice bike and it shifts well. That's with the same plates and all just filed only as much as needed.

Agree and disagree as it only depends on how much was filed down

The baskets are strong and will take a beating so to speak. I have a picture above of a really scored basket. I put it into my practice bike and it shifts well. That's with the same plates and all just filed only as much as needed.

i just smoothed them out, seemed to work perfect anyways. but i did put new plates,pads and springs in as well as a new cable and all new oil  :thumbsup:

It's nice to NOT have a grabby basket but I have had plenty of bikes like this and it never stopped me riding. My KTM 525 did it brand new.

My point is, regonize that a notchy basket isn't perfect but you can ride with it. Once it's bad enough to piss you off then deal with it. It's nice to be able to pick your battles.

Would it be okay to lay the bike over so I don't have to drain the oil? It's a 2t so it should be ok right? I just put in fresh royal purple hoping that was the problem. Also, if I don't change it soon, what la the chance a part will break off? It doesn't bother me that much, more worried about my baby. Wouldn't I have noticed metal in the oil? One last question, will I need a new gasket? I'm thinking if its sitting in oil 24/7 I'll be fine.

Thanks again.

In no way will a filed basket perform or last as long as the original.

The original has harder edges compared to a filed one, and the plates will slap around more in the filed one as theres now more space. And thats more slapping around against a softer surface....

Short term: Filing it will get you out of a hole for sure. I dont disagree with that. However i did say ".....a new replacement is the only long-tem answer".

Ok I guess I just wanted to argue.

Although you are right. It was fun!

Yes. The only way to expect long term 100% fix is to get a new one.

But. But. But....

In my experience a filed basket will last you a good while.

As like I said I have used it on mx tracks where I am constantly shifting. No clutch down shift.

For over 20 hours and it still runs and shifts like butter.

Again you are correct. If you are looking for a better piece of mind. Get new

Mine was only scored in one certain spot. It was any easy fix.

• Like 1

Would it be okay to lay the bike over so I don't have to drain the oil? It's a 2t so it should be ok right? I just put in fresh royal purple hoping that was the problem. Also, if I don't change it soon, what la the chance a part will break off? It doesn't bother me that much, more worried about my baby. Wouldn't I have noticed metal in the oil? One last question, will I need a new gasket? I'm thinking if its sitting in oil 24/7 I'll be fine.

Thanks again.

It's perfectly OK to lay the bike down, in fact, it's the right way.

You should have a reuseable rubber O-ring under your cover, just clean it up well prior to reinstallation.

• Like 1

Thanks again.

I would take my stand and lay the left handle on the stand. And work on it that way If that is your concern.

As for metal shavings in your oil nog always. They are tricky.

Is your oil plug magnetic? Seem go forget the year of your bike.

Sometimes you look over thst as well and just try to get the job done.

It won't hurt to drain the oil in a clean container and then when finished put it right back in either.

Just in case you do run into an issue or get shavings somewhere and are in need of standing your bike up. Or ruining good oil. I personally would drain it.

Thats second-hand or used dirt-bikes for you im afraid....  :ride:

What happens is that people don't maintain their oil and they don't use their clutch properly. The clutch is meant to be used often- that is, feed power out of corners, clutch in under rear brake, etc. Bozo riders don't do this and the basket gits beat. 

It's perfectly OK to lay the bike down, in fact, it's the right way.

You should have a reuseable rubber O-ring under your cover, just clean it up well prior to reinstallation.

Yep as long as your gasket doesn't look like it needs replaced. You are fine.

Be careful with it out.

Also remember that the bolts are NOT all the same size.

Especially when you get over towards your filter.

They are 8th of an inch longer or even just a hair. So if they do not tighten all the way. Don't force them or you will regret it.

Im no motobike mechanic - im sure you know more than me ! Just stating some common sense and some very recent experince of the same situation.....

Just hoped some of it would help.

Safe ridng man.

I would not go as far as saying I know more.

I as well as all humans... relate to what he have done or seen or know all in one and then feed that into our advice.

My advice was more along the lines as "how to save a buck and ride"

Yours was "just get a new one to be safe"

Like I said the filed basket worked for me. Not to say the same for anyone else. As he could put it bsck together get 2 hours into a ride and be dead.

To op. Just depends on what you can afford or HOW BAD the basket could be. As for mine it really wasn't much. All I had to file was a few knicks.

Im no motobike mechanic - im sure you know more than me ! Just stating some common sense and some very recent experince of the same situation.....

Just hoped some of it would help.

Safe ridng man.

Safe riding to you.

I'm on the mend as of yesterday hurt one of the 5 broken all ready ribs I had.

Missed my race today :(

No magnetic plug, it's a 98. Also, is it possible it's out of adjustment? How would I go about adjusting it? I see the cable goes in the left side case, but clutch is on right side, and no exterior adjustment other than on the lever, is that all? One more, what's the probability the clutch will lose the things that are being scraped?

Thanks again everyone.

Must be this 'bozo' geezer who's owned all of my bikes before me then.............  :banghead:

But Yup; Hard life being a clutch i reckon. Especially if you've got an unsympathetic owner.

My two main bikes now have beautiful stock baskets. The higher hour one is an 06 CRF450R. It has well over 200 and the basket has no notches. I got it virtually new and I know how to clutch. A buddy of mine recently bought a super low hour CRF250R and sure enough, the basket was notched like crazy. What a dick. 

Yep as long as your gasket doesn't look like it needs replaced. You are fine.

Be careful with it out.

Also remember that the bolts are NOT all the same size.

Especially when you get over towards your filter.

They are 8th of an inch longer or even just a hair. So if they do not tighten all the way. Don't force them or you will regret it.

Filter? Wtf. Since when do they have those in dirtbikes? Pretty sure mine doesn't. It wasn't mentioned under oil change in my manual.

Thanks.

No magnetic plug, it's a 98. Also, is it possible it's out of adjustment? How would I go about adjusting it? I see the cable goes in the left side case, but clutch is on right side, and no exterior adjustment other than on the lever, is that all? One more, what's the probability the clutch will lose the things that are being scraped?

Thanks again everyone.

What kind of bike have you, Liam? Your clutch lever needs a bit of free play. About 1/8" (2mm) of wiggle/free play is good.

• Like 1