Sign in to follow this  

89 cr 250r, resto ?

We'll my girlfriend owns this bike, I basically fell in love with it when I first rode it. The bike pulls hard, and is smooth power compared to my 250f I think it's pretty good. Now the problem I'm having is getting the bike from her, I offered her what she payed for it, and also offered her a second deal me buy her a 125 for the 250. Now the bike needs a full motor job done, it's at my builders house right now. I'm thinking if I get the bike it'll be getting a complete original resto done with a few touches. My question, are parts super hard to come by ? I want this bike bad haha . Anyways, here's some pics as how it sits now, yes it's sitting in my old camper that my girlfriend and I restored lol.image.jpg

Edited by Rafe19

Lmao matty, no pics bud sorry. Alright, we ended up making a deal where, we're going to split it. I will get pics as this build goes on. Hopefully turns out good. The bike needs a lot of work.

We'll my girlfriend owns this bike, I basically fell in love with it when I first rode it. The bike pulls hard, and is smooth power compared to my 250f I think it's pretty good. Now the problem I'm having is getting the bike from her, I offered her what she payed for it, and also offered her a second deal me buy her a 125 for the 250. Now the bike needs a full motor job done, it's at my builders house right now. I'm thinking if I get the bike it'll be getting a complete original resto done with a few touches. My question, are parts super hard to come by ? I want this bike bad haha . Anyways, here's some pics as how it sits now, yes it's sitting in my old camper that my girlfriend and I restored lol.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I had a 1990 and there are quite a few parts that you cant buy anymore from Honda. That put me off big time, sold it and now its in pieces at the new owner because he destroyed the engine cases.

There is a poster on this site (bigpaul I think) who has done a few restores of late 80's bikes.  He might be a good person to send a private message to and get advice on where to find parts.  I think some of the plastics may need to be restored instead of replaced.  It is really hard to find parts for old 2 strokes like that. 

Thanks a lot for the help guys, ill look up big Paul. Yah before this bike blew up, it hauled ass. My main concern right now is finding a crank, and hoping I can either fix the rads on the bike or buy new ones.

Thanks a lot for the help guys, ill look up big Paul. Yah before this bike blew up, it hauled ass. My main concern right now is finding a crank, and hoping I can either fix the rads on the bike or buy new ones.

I think you can get the Chinese radiators on ebay for that model.  If you want to repair the originals, Mylars radiator repair does a really good job with that.

Frdbt, the rads just need straightened on it. I can probably live with it for now. I did check it out, it's just to bad he's all the way in Utah.

Dirt rider, I checked hot rods site and didn't find anything, also checked eBay. Worst case if I can't find one, just the rod will have to do.

Thanks joe ill shoot you a pm TNT.

I restored a complete roach 1988 model and it is one of my favorite bikes.

1989 parts are not impossible. I would suggest pulling the water pump cover and seeing if the water pump has any corrosion. If it does I would order a new water pump cover immediately as Honda has very few (if any) left in stock. Check the radiators, they are going to be at least partially blocked if the water pump cover is corroded.

ebay is good for part, after market for common parts such as swing arm bearings and air filters, plastic etc are easy to find. Honda still has some parts.

If you like the bike go for it!

Big paul, do you have pictures of your bike ? Thanks for the info. I do want to re store it, I found out today the cylinder needs re plated. I don't want to put a sleeve in it. So I'm shopping around trying to find places that do it for a decent price. I will also check the water pump thanks a lot for telling me that.

Backwoodz, how much ? Does that come with the cylinder ?

Big paul, do you have pictures of your bike ? Thanks for the info. I do want to re store it, I found out today the cylinder needs re plated. I don't want to put a sleeve in it. So I'm shopping around trying to find places that do it for a decent price. I will also check the water pump thanks a lot for telling me that.

Backwoodz, how much ? Does that come with the cylinder ?

I  suggest having whoever does the replating provide the piston. Things will fit better and the engine will run better. Talk to the replater about this before you do anything.

Thanks george that's good advice, and also fbrtd. I will look that up. Build may have to go on the back burner for a couple weeks until this cylinder is done.

What about a crank ? Should I just rebuild mine with a hot rod connecting rod kit ? Or is there one out there that I don't know of.