Advice before buying KDX 220

Hello,

Spoke with Seller about buying this bike. 

I am newbie and 5-11, 168lbs, 34 yrs old. I never road dirt bike before and I think this a good bike for me for some trail riding or dirt for casual fun. No racing or serious jumps. 

I have dirt bike lessons this week. 

Is there any questions or things I need to look for on the bike? The seller agreed to bring to local dirt bike shop for inspection of the bike before I but it. However, I can't ride it cause I don't want to drop it. The seller agreed to ride it to show it switch gears and so forth.

Any comments or advice. I think the price is fair, how about you?

Thanks for your support. Everyone here has been very helpful in obtaining my new hobby. I have been asking lots of questions.

Thanks,

bike for sale.png

I've owned a few KDX's and found them tough and reliable . Keep the powervalve cleaned regularly and other normal maintenance and the bike will be perfect for you.That one looks very nice.You'll love the bike. I went with a CRF 250X for the electric start and not having to mix gas any more. If I could have found a KDX for that price in that good of shape I'd be back on green today.

Great bike, good price. Rest yourself in the hands of the bike shop. It's up to them to tell YOU, not the seller what's wrong if anything. Your money bought the survey. Let them instruct you on cost of repairs for  things they find, and use it as a bargaining tool.

Good choice with the KDX. You may or may not outgrow it. They are a good beginner/moderate guy's bike.

Jealous! I had a bad experience with my very very very first bike. I was so novice, and I didn't know what I was doing. KDX 220 without a rear wheel or kick starter. I didn't know at the time to remove the stator cover and try turning the engine kicker.... So I bought a seized 2 stroke ? Learner my lesson. Good thing I was only out $200 ?

Jealous! I had a bad experience with my very very very first bike. I was so novice, and I didn't know what I was doing. KDX 220 without a rear wheel or kick starter. I didn't know at the time to remove the stator cover and try turning the engine kicker.... So I bought a seized 2 stroke ? Learner my lesson. Good thing I was only out $200 ?

I think we all experience something like this. Like you said good thing it was only $200

Thanks

Goodoboy....ask seller how many hours are on the piston or if it has ever been replaced.  KDX220's are notorious for cracks in the piston skirts on the OEM pistons.  Read up on the Kawasaki two stroke forum or at www.kdxrider.net.  If not you might want to factor that into your price you offer and have your mechanic replace it

Price is decent.  I picked up a 2006 KDX200 for my daughter in December 2012 for $1800 bone stock with what appeared to be low hours.

• Like 1

Goodoboy....ask seller how many hours are on the piston or if it has ever been replaced.  KDX220's are notorious for cracks in the piston skirts on the OEM pistons.  Read up on the Kawasaki two stroke forum or at www.kdxrider.net.  If not you might want to factor that into your price you offer and have your mechanic replace it

Price is decent.  I picked up a 2006 KDX200 for my daughter in December 2012 for $1800 bone stock with what appeared to be low hours

THank you alot. The seller says he only has less than 10 hours of riding the past 3 years and the previous owner performed top end. 

One final note Goodoboy: if you do buy this KDX, be careful with the power for a bit. This one has an aftermarket exhaust pipe and it really wakes the bike up. It will still make plenty on the bottom so you'll want to run at the bottom to 2/3 of the rev range. I guarantee that once you rev it up you'll scare your pants off. 4strokes are easier to ride but a 2stroke woods bike like the KDX can be very rewarding. It'll be quite a while before it bores you.

One final note Goodoboy: if you do buy this KDX, be careful with the power for a bit. This one has an aftermarket exhaust pipe and it really wakes the bike up. It will still make plenty on the bottom so you'll want to run at the bottom to 2/3 of the rev range. I guarantee that once you rev it up you'll scare your pants off. 4strokes are easier to ride but a 2stroke woods bike like the KDX can be very rewarding. It'll be quite a while before it bores you.

Yes, my trainer told me to get  4 stroke cause its easier to ride. but what the hell. I am tired of researching bikes.

He recommends I start with a ttr 125LE or 150F, but too little and I don't want to have to go through the process of buying and selling later. buy the kdx 220 and get it over with.

• Like 1