Sign in to follow this  

blew a fork seal

Bike only has about 15hours on it and the right fork is already leaking. Is the oil lvl too high from the showroom floor that it would cause a seal to blow?

are u using a block between front wheel and fender when u tie it down. traveling with the thing tied down is hard on fork seals. hope that helps.

Bike only has about 15hours on it and the right fork is already leaking. Is the oil lvl too high from the showroom floor that it would cause a seal to blow?

Probably just has some gunk in the seal. Use a seal mate or similar and try cleaning it out. If that doesn't work then obviously the seal will need replacing. 

No prob. Seals hold up really well these days. 

Just an FYI, I clean my fork seals every time I wash the bike. It is a good habit to get into. A clean seal is a happy seal. Those little seal mates are a nice little $3 addition to the shop. I have one in the truck and a few laying around the shop so I always have one handy.

Good to know cause my old bike would always have a leaky seal even if I replaced it. I just think the kinds of riding I do, fine sand gets into the seal easily and the last time I rode my 450 there was a sand storm.

Yep... our tracks are extremely loamy so we if I don't keep mine clean they get destroyed easily. Also keep in mind that keeping those things clean will keep your inners from deteriorating too quickly. That sand causing your seals to leak is roughing up your inner tubes with every stroke.

Bah. Same thing happened to me. I just realized it was seeping the oil. I think it's happenig from tying it down too much and from riding it sand all the time.

They leak because of debris... it has nothing to do with tying them down too tight. Think about how much abuse your suspension takes on a typical ride day. Tying them down is nothing for a set of forks.