Sign in to follow this  

Valve adjuster lost in engine...

So I have been trying to get a TTR125 I bought at the end of last year running good, working on it when I can.  This weekend it didn't want to start, I got it to start once but it was really sputtery and wouldn't idle then wouldn't restart.  Tried a new plug, and wouldn't start at all, went to check the valves and to my horror the exhaust valve locknut and adjuster were missing.  Good news is I may have found why it was running poorly (could still be carb problems though), bad news is I want to find the missing parts so nothing major goes wrong.

I have looked around and some say to leave the parts in the engine, either they will be sitting at the bottom of the sump or in the oil screen, others say split the cases and find the parts.  I have already pulled the engine out and was going to split the cases, but if I don't have to I don't want to.  Going to drain the oil and see if they come out.  I'm looking for opinions.  Leave the adjuster and locknut in the engine if they don't come out or tear it down and find those suckers?

I don't see the parts making it into the top of the cylinder, maybe the oil screen will catch it and I'll have to look into what I have to do to check that.  I think the parts are probably too heavy to get sucked up into the cylinder.  So, leave them in there if they don't come out in the oil or go on a recon mission?

Edited by J-moges

I dont see how they could possibly get from inside the motor somewhere to inside the cylinder.  There is no opening from the crank case to the cylinder.  If it were my bike Id want to get them out of there thou.  Id start by taking the side cases off and see if you can see anything before you actually split the motor.

Ok, that's what I figured but haven't been in an engine before.  When I get some time I'll check out the cases

No, I only had time this weekend to pull the engine out of the frame and I was going to start pulling the top end off but was going to drain the oil first before I dug too deep.  I don't really want to do more than I have to.  I won't have time to work on it more until the end of the week or midway through the next week.

dude,

take the side cover off you dont have to pull the top end off or even split the cases.

theres like a 90% chance you dropped it down the cam chain tunnel and that its behind the the cover. not in between the cases.

and even if it is you may be able to fish it out.

Had some time today and drained the oil and took off both side covers.  Found nothing.  Maybe they're stuck somewhere in the passages.  I saw a couple of knicks on a gear but nothing major, no metal in the oil either.  I dunno :excuseme:

Took the head off and they were both stuck against the cam chain roller, lifted the head and I heard two tink sounds and there they were.  Unfortunately the fine threads must have been damaged because I can't thread them back in without getting a lot of resistance.  Probably just going to order a new nut and adjuster, both of them won't thread correctly but the threads look OK