Sign in to follow this  

02 KDX220 cylinder re-plate or not

Hello, this is the cylinder of my 220. I am in the midst of building a KX125/220 hybrid. I have a bunch of work left to do and very limited free time. So I will be lucky to get a couple short rides on this before the snow flies next fall. I am planning on a new Wisco and rings and was hoping cylinder condition will get me those couple rides at the end of the season. I will then (next winter) get it re-plated and the bottom end checked and another new piston. So looking for your thoughts on the condition of this cylinder. The wall is very smooth, it was cleaned with degreaser and a scotch brite. The piston was not cleaned, it feels smoothish. You can feel the black streaks slightly.

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0405.JPG

IMG_0406.JPG

IMG_0407.JPG

IMG_0409.JPG

Looks like you were lucky enough to get it before it did some real damage.

Replate or resleeve?

So what looks bad? There is 75 percent of the chrome left. I left out this is my first 2 stroke and cylinder inspection. What is better re plate or sleaze and where do I send it. Any ideas on costs. Thanks.

Well there needs to be 100% of the "chrome" left (actually nicasil).

I've always used Millennium Technologies for my replates with great success.

Replate over sleeve. Plating is much harder and doesn't wear like a sleeve will, well, unless you get a lot of debris in the engine (looks like yours ate dirt). Transfers heat better, sleeve has potential to get the porting messed up or misaligned, etc.

There is 75 percent of the chrome left.

That there is the problem. Like Adam said, you need 100%. Why? Without the nicasil plating your piston and rings are riding against pure soft aluminum. You literally caught it just in time!

I was pretty sure it should be done but I guess I was hoping to get a couple " it looks fine" I am going to go with Millennium. They say $200-260 plus shipping. I am hoping $200. The bore is very smooth. I measured at 68mm. I just ordered the service manual so I do not have all the numbers for things. Is 68mm stock bore? Thank again. Also what is the difference in a standard Wisco and the Wisco lite piston?

Call me a hack but I'd be tempted to very lightly hone it and run it.  The crosshatching is gone in places but as long as the plating hasn't begun to flake it might be serviceable.  Are there any grooves present in the bore that you can feel with your fingertip?