Sign in to follow this  

83 XR 350

Hello I am having some issues with my 83 honda xr 350. Last fall I had to split the case to change the shift shaft. Over the winter I put it all back together and when I got it together I put took the bike out and after about ten kicks it started but didn't want to idle. The other thing I noticed was the pipes started to get really hot almost turning red. I shut the bike off and put it up in the garage until the spring. Well I recently pulled the bike out with the nice weather and I kicked the bike over and after about 5 -10 kicks it fired over and idled. However as soon as you give it gas it dies. It did this a few times but now it doesn't want to even start. I will kick it and it will putter but that's it. I know that the cylinder psi is 175 new, I did keep the same piston and rings due to the bike did run perfectly before the teardown. The weird part is the when I put the compression tester on it using the compression release and releasing half way through the kick I was getting about 140 psi but with out the compression release I'm only getting 100psi. I would really appreciate any help or guidance. Thanks.

Sounds like it's running lean, clean the carb and change the pilot jet or clean it.

Thanks I defiantly will take the carbs apart and clean them.