Sign in to follow this  

Super Motard Wheel

I'm looking to have the front wheel down sized from a 21" to a 17" wheel for my 86 XR600R, I'm looking to keep the stock gold color, anybody know where I can buy one?

Good question, I'm really just looking for a wheel that will work for the street. Not looking to get into the full Super Motard thing, just looking to make it into more of a street bike. As far as width, something wider then the 21" wheel I have right now.

I'm not going to be able to tell you what years and models came with gold wheels, but i may be able to help with the size. Your xr probably has a 36 spoke 2.15 x 17 rear wheel on it now. lots of xl600's came with a 36 spoke 2.50 x 17 rear wheel (i know 83's did for sure but they're not gold). Find one of these 2.50 rear rims and lace it into your rear hub. Next, lace your stock rear 2.15 x 17 rim onto your front hub and you'll be motarded! I read on here somewhere that you can use xr200 rear, sprocket side spokes for this front wheel combo but i cant confirm that.

If you go for it post some pics afterword

I'm not going to be able to tell you what years and models came with gold wheels, but i may be able to help with the size. Your xr probably has a 36 spoke 2.15 x 17 rear wheel on it now. lots of xl600's came with a 36 spoke 2.50 x 17 rear wheel (i know 83's did for sure but they're not gold). Find one of these 2.50 rear rims and lace it into your rear hub. Next, lace your stock rear 2.15 x 17 rim onto your front hub and you'll be motarded! I read on here somewhere that you can use xr200 rear, sprocket side spokes for this front wheel combo but i cant confirm that.

If you go for it post some pics afterword

I used rear rim onto front hub, with shortened and re-rolled threads. and wider rim from a roadbike onto rear hub with original spokes. 

Some NX650 Dominators and early XR600s had gold 17 inch rear rims.

I'm also in the process do installing an XL swing arm and rear wheel for the Cush drive so I'll have the old XR rear wheel, can I use that rim and get it re-spoked for the front wheel?

Edited by elwaupo

I have a 1984 xl6000r. I had measured the clearance in the swing arm and decided that it would accept a 150/70-17 tire on the rear. I ordered Kenda big block front and rear.  I did not take into consideration the rim width not accepting a wider tire.  It looks like the front Kenda Big Block, which is 90/90-21 will fit ok on the front rim (maybe), but that the rear rim is going to be too narrow for the 150 width rear I ordered. As far as I know the rims are stock, but I can not find rim size stamps on either rim. Kenda said that 3.5" rim would be ok, but nothing narrower. My rim measures 3.5", but on the outside of the rim, still have it on the bike with the old tire, so I do not know the inside width or even where to measure if I did have the tire off. 

Can anyone help me with these rim sizes and what are the widest tires I can mount on the rims?

The xl uses a 2.50 rear rim, nothing wider is going to swap over without a bunch of messing around, or straight up buying a new rim and custom spokes.  Run a 130/80 rear instead, those fit fine on the stock rim.  Your 90/90 will fit just fine on the front.

2013-10-11160723_zpsbe81e29c.jpg

The SuMo's look awesome and like they'd be a blast to rip on street, but is there a specific function of the dirt bike turned street bike that these are better suited for than a full blown street bike? Just curious because I've never really seen or heard of this until I started looking into info and mods on a recently acquired xl600. I've owned a could crotch rockets and a h.d. sportster 1200 prior to the xl. I have to say that the xl is by far the most fun bike I've ever ridden, and that's sure to the on/off roadability of it. Not sure I'd feel the same if it was strictly street, unless there's something I'm missing.

The SuMo's look awesome and like they'd be a blast to rip on street, but is there a specific function of the dirt bike turned street bike that these are better suited for than a full blown street bike? Just curious because I've never really seen or heard of this until I started looking into info and mods on a recently acquired xl600. I've owned a could crotch rockets and a h.d. sportster 1200 prior to the xl. I have to say that the xl is by far the most fun bike I've ever ridden, and that's sure to the on/off roadability of it. Not sure I'd feel the same if it was strictly street, unless there's something I'm missing.

I think people like the size and weight of these bikes for the street as well as the riding 'posture'. They're somewhat unique compared to the rest of what's out there. I just can't get past how versatile the xr/xl is in dual sport configuration. If I can only have it one way, it will always be as a dual sport.

Dual sports are nice, light, and narrow making them generally easier to use than a street bike.  They maneuver easy, you can back them up easy, simple to get in and out of cramped parking spaces or garages, fit between cars in traffic, easy on fuel, etc.  The single cylinder engine with the low geared off road trans is a lot of fun if you ride in low speed limit areas like the city.  That along with an upright riding position that lets you see over traffic and a long travel suspension that's soft over potholes, they make a great around town commuter bike.

The do suck on the freeway though.  They don't like going very fast and get tossed around like crazy in the wind.

• Like 1