Sign in to follow this  

02 CR 250 trail bike

I'm looking for a good, fun, dependable, light, and zippy trail/woods bike to ride at local OHV parks. I started riding when I was 9yo and had a DR100, CR80, XR250, and a KDX200. The KDX was my favorite. I haven't ridden much in the last 10 years. I'm thinking CRF250x, CR250, or KTM XC. I found an 02 CR250 looks good W/ Rekluse ,JD jets, Rad Valves, IMS tank, rad braces, steahly 12oz, pro moto kick stand, bark busters, Warp 9 wheels, trials tire and, FMF turbine silencer. Has about 20 hrs on top end. The guy used it for hare scrambles. Asking $2200 I may buy it Wednesday if the weather clears up, so I can test ride it. Also I have an 07 RMZ450 I just got but its just not much fun for me because its heavy and too tall in first gear. On the other hand my daughter has an 07 DRZ125 and its a blast just not big or zippy enough. I don't care about the 2 vs 4 stroke argument or Honda vs KTM or any other brand unless it specifically pertains to my experience level and type of riding. I'm 33  6'6" and 200lbs. Thanks for any help.

Thought I'd post because you don't seem to be getting one.

That CR250 sounds like an amazing deal considering all the extras. You'll find it to be kind of top end oriented on power compared to a 4stroke even with the previous owner's mods. Great bike though, I'd buy it. 02 is the first year of the last generation (02-07) and they are just fantastic bikes.

I wouldn't typically buy a racer's bike but that's kind of a blanket statement. Kids beat their bikes up but an older and experienced racer typically keeps his bikes in top shape and loads them with every accessory needed. Sounds like that is the case here.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

I bought it today for $1900. It has all the accessories mentioned above + Keihin carb, Pro Taper bars, the manual clutch, service manual, and some other extra parts. I cant figure out how to post pics, although I have in other posts, has something changed?

Awesome deal, put that keihn on asap. You cant attach pictires in the quick reply have to go to full version more reply options.

that's a good deal. I sold my 02 for $1700 last fall and it had only a few of those mods. I sell my mods separately. I'm cheap like that. :busted:

The rekluse on that bike will make it nice in the woods. They're sort of missing the deep low end power but by 1/8 throttle things begin to pickup nicely. 

I still remember the first time I saw a trials tire on the back of a CR250 while in the mountains, and I asked myself "why would you do that". But I guess there is a lot more people that run them than I would think, especially on the rocky stuff.

I still remember the first time I saw a trials tire on the back of a CR250 while in the mountains, and I asked myself "why would you do that". But I guess there is a lot more people that run them than I would think, especially on the rocky stuf

Yea I think they look odd myself.

NCM_0078.JPGI put a few hours on her today and I love it. I've yet to foul a plug which is nice, I had to keep the throttle opened up on the kdx I had or I'd be cleaning the plug. I'm running Lucas semi synthetic @ 40-1 with 93 non ethanol. The manual clutch is installed and I'm riding in tight woods so I slip it a lot works great but I feel like I'm burning up the clutch,. What brand clutch should I buy for trail riding that will work well manual and with the Rekluse EXP I have for it? Also I need a shory clutch lever, It has an MSR lever now (Pictured) will any shorty lever work with it? ASV? And one more question, probably wont but, Will a Hinson clutch basket from a RMZ450 fit the CR?

attachicon.gifNCM_0078.JPGI put a few hours on her today and I love it. I've yet to foul a plug which is nice, I had to keep the throttle opened up on the kdx I had or I'd be cleaning the plug. I'm running Lucas semi synthetic @ 40-1 with 93 non ethanol. The manual clutch is installed and I'm riding in tight woods so I slip it a lot works great but I feel like I'm burning up the clutch,. What brand clutch should I buy for trail riding that will work well manual and with the Rekluse EXP I have for it? Also I need a shory clutch lever, It has an MSR lever now (Pictured) will any shorty lever work with it? ASV? And one more question, probably wont but, Will a Hinson clutch basket from a RMZ450 fit the CR?

These bikes and their clutches are designed for abuse. Slip the clutch like mad! Don't matter. No, RMZ won't fit. 

I still haven't found a shorty lever I'm sure will work with the MSR. Also I think I'm going to use Rotella 10w40 when I change the trans oil this week. Any thoughts?

Here's a nice clutch lever that comes in various lengths. 

http://www.righteousstuntmetal.com/domestic/levers.html

I have not found a bad choice of oil for the two cycle gearbox. Car oil, diesel oil, ATF, tractor fluid, gear oil, etc. Viscosity sure doesn't matter either but Honda manual likely says 10W40 or their specific gear oil in red bottle (not reqrd).