Sign in to follow this  

2001 Ktm 200exc cold start issue

Hi I have a 2001 ktm 200exc that I got a while ago. Ever since I got it it has been very hard to start cold. I'm talking 15-20 kicks and that was before I did a top end rebuild on it. After the rebuild it was still super hard to start. It has great compression and good spark. I've changed plugs and everything but it still hates to start cold. Once it gets running it runs great no issues. Haven't messed with carb but could the carb really be the problem? Running out of ideas... And getting very frustrated. Any help from the experts?

• Like 1

Hi I have a 2001 ktm 200exc that I got a while ago. Ever since I got it it has been very hard to start cold. I'm talking 15-20 kicks and that was before I did a top end rebuild on it. After the rebuild it was still super hard to start. It has great compression and good spark. I've changed plugs and everything but it still hates to start cold. Once it gets running it runs great no issues. Haven't messed with carb but could the carb really be the problem? Running out of ideas... And getting very frustrated. Any help from the experts?

Sounds like it may be a carb issue , could be the choke not fully functioning , do you charge the cylinder with a few slow kicks before jumping on it ? 

Clean the carb. Pay close attention to the air passageways, especially the one leading to the choke circuit.

Yea what he said  :lol:

the pilot jet, the choke circuit and some small little holes work on the starting issue. It should start cold with choke on in 3-5 kicks if working right.

Try tipping it over until you get some fuel out the overflow for a couple of seconds, with the choke on and throttle open give it a few slow kicks then kick it like you normally would.

Edited by IdaSpode

I have tried the tipping over method and it hasn't worked. I will take it apart soon and try to get that pilot jet out and clean it out along with all other pasageways

Depending on how cold, it can be a pain to start.  For example, if my bike has been in a cool 40-50 degree garage it will be a PITA to start.  If I get it outside with the sun hitting the cylinder it's 3 kicks and off to the races!  My buddy even puts a heater near his case to help the process and thin the oil a bit.  I would not worry too much about it.

Thanks for the respond, turns out all it was was a clogged pilot jet. Starts in 2 kicks everytime now

• Like 1