Sign in to follow this  

450X vs WR450

Ok I know this has been a topic before but I want to raise it again. Newer 2013/2014 X's vs WRs. Anybody here have experience with boths? I was raised a Honda guy, however, my last bike was a YZ 426. Thinkin about making the switch back to red but that WR FI sounds awfully fancy! My YZ is great but requires a lot of wrenching (mainly carb) to keep happy. Plus I want something I can eventually plate.

I realize this is a Honda forum so I'm expecting some bias opinions ;)

Demo'd a '12 Wr450 in Gorman. I didn't like the down low grunt. I'm sure I would have found the power after riding awhile but I couldn't climb anything real steep to save my life.

I loved the suspension even though it was under sprung. But that was works I think. Not stock. It had a rekluse which I liked when it got real sandy.

I would buy one. I'm on the verge of getting a second bike. I'm thinking of trying the 520 Ktm has to offer just to see what the hype is.

Thanks. Is the X pretty easy machine to maintain? Normal oil intervals and valve checks? How is it out of the box?

Crew can elaborate on the power on the WR? What part of it did you not like? Ive heard that their are a few mods (ECU, Airbox, Fuel Screw, mapping etc) to get them uncorked

Crew can elaborate on the power on the WR? What part of it did you not like? Ive heard that their are a few mods (ECU, Airbox, Fuel Screw, mapping etc) to get them uncorked

I only rode the bike for an hour. I know it was fully modded. My X tractors a lot better. Seemed like the WR wanted to maintain a certain RPM before it was torquey.

Like I said though I would of just needed more seat time to get used to it.

It may have been the clutch, but I am a heavy guy and gravity isn't nice so I can be slowed to a crawl on steep hills. Plus I'm a slow sit down rider when it gets steep.

IMO the bike was fine it was just set up a little different than I would have done it.

Edited by BolinJrsPit Crew

I have an 05 X and my go-to riding buddy has an 07 WR.  I have rode them both a bit.  My X is sprung for my 300 lb stature and his WR is sprung for his 180 lb stature.  That being said my X revs faster and starts easier.  It climbs anything I point it at and is just plain snappy.  His WR is pretty peppy too but it doesnt move me like my X does, and I have modded his accelorator pump just like I have modded mine.  Dont get me wrong the WR is a very capable machine and i would ride it without any complaints or issues, but when I compare mine to his...mine is more desireable and when he compares his to mine, you can tell he wants his to run like ive got mine running.  We mainly do single track and go wooded trail riding, but we do some poker runs too. Just my $.02

I've been thinking about these bikes also.  Which one feels roomier/better for tall people?

I've been thinking about these bikes also.  Which one feels roomier/better for tall people?

By FAR the 450X has more cockpit room and more room to work with, to increase the cockpit size even more.

It is currently the largest cockpit available, after the KX450F.

• Like 1

By FAR the 450X has more cockpit room and more room to work with, to increase the cockpit size even more.

It is currently the largest cockpit available, after the KX450F.

Awesome, for some reason I was under the impression that WRs are very roomy. 

Edited by asb77