500exc with 13/52 gearing, in case you were wondering

For anyone with a 500exc wanting to gear way down for trails but afraid that you're giving up a lot of top end, don't worry so much.  I went 13/52 gearing so I could putt around with the kids without slipping the clutch, but I've wondered if I was giving up much on top with such short gearing.  Today I had a chance to really stretch the legs for the first time and wow this thing can move!  I saw 80mph in 5th and still no rev limiter but it had to be only a few rpm away, so I shifted to 6th and almost immediately saw 85mph.  I decided that was fast enough for the location I was in, but wow this thing is still pulling really hard at 85mph!  I'm sure it will hit 90 with this gearing, I wouldn't be surprised if it would get to 95 but I'll let someone else find that out.  But wow I can't believe how hard this thing pulls up top even with the super quiet stock exhaust! 

• Like 2

Stock was 15/45 and I only rode it up and down the street, probably less than 1/2 mile before I swapped it out.  Stock gearing was really really tall and I knew before I bought the bike that gearing would be my first change.  With this gearing 1st gear is very low, you can roll around at walking speed without using the clutch so it's good for tight trails, but you're into 2nd gear almost immediately on anything but the tightest of trails.  Low end torque is ridiculous, almost too much if you're not smooth with the throttle because it will break traction easily.  But it was nice to see that cruising on the highway at 55-65 was easy and the bike didn't feel to be revving that much at all.  If I were cruising longer distance at 70-75 then slightly taller gearing would be nice, but with this gearing it was still pulling hard at 85 so top end is still faster than I'll ever need to go.  On the motocross track with this gearing I find myself between 3rd and 4th gear a lot.  If I rode more moto than I do then I think something like 14/49 would be better to give it a longer and more useful 3rd gear on the track, but off-road it's great.  For the record I'm 6', 160# and ride mostly in the south east where trails are tighter.