Sign in to follow this  

Whats Causing All of the Smoke

Hello all, I picked up a 2001 TTR 125 that I want to get running as a spare for my kids. Bike needs a bit of work but the one thing I cant figure out is what is causing it to smoke so bad.

The bike will run but smokes something horrible, smoke looks white to me is air cooled so there is no coolant. My question is since this is a 4 stroke air cooled engine and the smoke looks white, what would be the cause? Side note the bike did not have a cylinder or base gasket, only RTV. How can I tell if this is a valve stem issue or a ring issue? Can the bike not having any gaskets and only RTV cause the problem?

Trying to do this on the cheap and hoped someone could help me troubleshoot the issue.

Hello all, I picked up a 2001 TTR 125 that I want to get running as a spare for my kids. Bike needs a bit of work but the one thing I cant figure out is what is causing it to smoke so bad.

The bike will run but smokes something horrible, smoke looks white to me is air cooled so there is no coolant. My question is since this is a 4 stroke air cooled engine and the smoke looks white, what would be the cause? Side note the bike did not have a cylinder or base gasket, only RTV. How can I tell if this is a valve stem issue or a ring issue? Can the bike not having any gaskets and only RTV cause the problem?

Trying to do this on the cheap and hoped someone could help me troubleshoot the issue.

I'm not an expert, but I hate to see an ignored thread. Sounds like oil, what does it smell like? A compression test can tell you if it's likely rings I think. If low, it could also be leaking past the valves, but that's a different issue from oil burning. I don't think the rtv is the issue, but that's pretty bad practice.

Hey, free bump, perhaps someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Mike

• Like 1

Go cheap, and all you're doing is just jerry rigging it to break down and what fun will that be for your kid if he only gets an hour out of it.  My suggestion would be tear it all down and restore it for the kid and piece of mind.  Yep, it's going to cost money, but then again, it will be worth it.  It's a nice little bike for you kid, spend the extra even if it takes a month or two and do it right.  As for your smoking problem, the only thing that can cause white smoke is condensation, and since the bike isn't water cooled, then it must be that it looks like white smoke, but really isn't.  You might have water in  your oil and a bad valve, who knows.  If indeed the cylinder head doesn't have a gasket but only RTV sealant, then that's a hint that you really should consider tearing it all down and checking it out rather than quick fix a problem that will lead to more problems later.  Could very well be a ring issue, who knows.  I'm guessing no one here will be able to give you a finite solution to your problem  until you feed us more input once you've torn it apart.  You could just run it as is and try your luck there, but I think you wouldn't be here asking if you intended to put some effort and get it right.  First thing first, start tearing it apart starting with the head, the very least you could do is install a new head gasket for $10, and once you're in there, you can investigate further what other problems lies beneath.  To be honest with you, I'm surprise it actually starts without a head gasket, but right there, that may be the only problem you're having, so you've kind of answered your own question.  Post some pics once you've decided what line to follow. :devil:

• Like 1

Go cheap, and all you're doing is just jerry rigging it to break down and what fun will that be for your kid if he only gets an hour out of it.  My suggestion would be tear it all down and restore it for the kid and piece of mind.  Yep, it's going to cost money, but then again, it will be worth it.  It's a nice little bike for you kid, spend the extra even if it takes a month or two and do it right.  As for your smoking problem, the only thing that can cause white smoke is condensation, and since the bike isn't water cooled, then it must be that it looks like white smoke, but really isn't.  You might have water in  your oil and a bad valve, who knows.  If indeed the cylinder head doesn't have a gasket but only RTV sealant, then that's a hint that you really should consider tearing it all down and checking it out rather than quick fix a problem that will lead to more problems later.  Could very well be a ring issue, who knows.  I'm guessing no one here will be able to give you a finite solution to your problem  until you feed us more input once you've torn it apart.  You could just run it as is and try your luck there, but I think you wouldn't be here asking if you intended to put some effort and get it right.  First thing first, start tearing it apart starting with the head, the very least you could do is install a new head gasket for $10, and once you're in there, you can investigate further what other problems lies beneath.  To be honest with you, I'm surprise it actually starts without a head gasket, but right there, that may be the only problem you're having, so you've kind of answered your own question.  Post some pics once you've decided what line to follow. :devil:

He said cylinder or base gasket so I focused on base gasket. Wouldn't an RTV blow out immediately as a head gasket, both compression and heat?

Very good advice, I'd tear down the entire top end and check, mic, everything.

I bought a '06 WR450 in '08 for $2000. Still had original tires, little used, but abused, Ran well but had a quarter inch hole in the air filter. Tore down the top end and every thing was perfect. Worth the gaskets and peace of mind. Would have still been worth it if I had to actually rebuild. Sold it several years and many hours later for $2700 if I remember right.

Mike

He said cylinder or base gasket so I focused on base gasket. Wouldn't an RTV blow out immediately as a head gasket, both compression and heat?

Very good advice, I'd tear down the entire top end and check, mic, everything.

I bought a '06 WR450 in '08 for $2000. Still had original tires, little used, but abused, Ran well but had a quarter inch hole in the air filter. Tore down the top end and every thing was perfect. Worth the gaskets and peace of mind. Would have still been worth it if I had to actually rebuild. Sold it several years and many hours later for $2700 if I remember right.

Mike

Isn't it amazing how people will jerry rig bikes to keep them running.  I'll bet the OP could probably get some more hours on that thing before it finally blows.  I'm guessing the head gasket IS there, and the previous owner figured adding RTV would help the problem of a blown gasket.  Hope the guy post some pics of this, I'm dying to see what it looks like.  :devil:

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the replies so far. These forums are the best around.

First off I am not one to cut corners but I have very little funds for this project. I want to fix what needs fixing within reason. My plan is to replace all of the top end seals and gaskets and replace the piston and rings. I dont want to tackle the valves because that is where the majority of my cost will be. I am thinking oil was leaking from around the rtv into the cylinder and that the valves are fine.

I will post some photos tonight when I get home.

Here are some photos from the disassembly. There were no cylinder top or bottom gaskets only the oring that goes on the bottom of the piston skirt.

1398739207182.jpg

1398739244396.jpg

1398739263607.jpg

1398739283155.jpg

1398739305352.jpg