Sign in to follow this  

is the '96 kx250 basically the same as '98 kx250 ?

I'm wondering if those years are basically the same parts interchange wise?

i tried looking up parts at kawi.com but it list 95-96, or for the crankcase, it lists only '96 used that case.

I have a '96 and was looking at a '98 online. i only want it if the parts interchange as i need to do a lot of work.

I need at least the crankcases, transmission, and carburetor maybe the back wheel... you get the point. i need a lot of parts to interchange.

i know they changed but i'm not sure what years? maybe '99? thanks

i just went and looked and it's sold. sold right away for $900.00. I just can't believe prices on bikes, i figured it would be around for awhile. i could see a nice bike going for 1200-1500 but it's too much for me. but like mine? needs left side case, carb ( has a hole in it) , respoke back wheel, new plastic, seat cover, crank? etc.  i mean seriously. I might as well sell it and pay a few hundred more for a rideable bike.

It's alot of money and work to get yours going for sure, BUT when you are done you will have years of worry free riding.  Anytime you buy a used bike you never know the true history and it can blow at any time.

I rebuilt a KX250 around 2008 and sold it to a friend of mine, he's just doing the crank now.  

It's alot of money and work to get yours going for sure, BUT when you are done you will have years of worry free riding.  Anytime you buy a used bike you never know the true history and it can blow at any time.

I rebuilt a KX250 around 2008 and sold it to a friend of mine, he's just doing the crank now.  

thank you.. I will stew on it some more. I really only need a left case, and there might be some trans/clutch damage as the left case is broken by the clutch actuator. is this a common problem? was it just the force on the actuator, or something inside made it break?

i've been looking for a good solid 2 stroke honda or kawi to rebuild... it's just MY kawi is so ratty and loose but then again prices seem so high on bikes if i was to start with a different one. I dunno 

If your cylinder is good I'd rebuild that one. 

HOLD the phone.... i just checked the VIN and the 10th is a N!

it must be a '92...

i feel like such a noob...   :bonk: 

I have the seat and panel, i just took it off to stuff a rag in the airbox as it's been sitting for a couple years now.

what left case will match my 92? and is it worth fixing IYO?

Edited by over rev

A good welder could fix that.  Remove the bearings and clutch arm, find a steel rod the same od as the bearings and put it in the case, then weld the case up.  Remove the steel rod and put it back together. Aluminum weld doesn't stick to steel.

Edited by Jeekinz
  • Like 1

if you look very close at this case, in the third picture it looks like it's been welded in the same spot. http://www.ebay.com/itm/92-KAWASAKI-KX-250-LEFT-CASE-OEM-FACTORY-ENGINE-CASE-LEFT-CRANK-CASE-MOTOR-CASE-/310913080670?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4863dd1d5e&vxp=mtr

I asked 2 guys and no luck with getting it welded. one guy didn't have a tig, and the other guy said the rod would probably get fused from heat, even if he used a brass rod.? he said it would be so expensive to weld that i should look for another case. i'll keep looking for someone who can do it seeing as i think the above case has been repaired similar. 

Edited by over rev

I agree with Jeekinz on fixing that case. Good welder can weld that up and after media blasting it looks like new.

• Like 1