Sign in to follow this  

trading my 05 400 exc for a 99 300 mxc thoughts?

Anybody have any thoughts on this trade. Ive always ridden 4 strokes and I like my 400. Ive owned a 07 200 xcw and like it but not enough bottom end for me. Ive read a million post and articles on the 300 and watched a ton of videos and  this is the route I want to go. The 99 is in like new condition and has just been gone through with new bearings, chain and sprockets new plastic and tires. Motor is fresh. What do I need to look for and is the 99 model a good year? I think it was the first year for the inverted fork. thanks

Here's some information.

The 1999 model year came with a hydraulic clutch and the WP 50MM Extreme conventional forks. While simple in design those forks work exceptionally in rocky terrain or for anyone who wants a really supple ride. They give up some performance though for things like mx racing. 

The 2000 model year bike was the first year with Upside Down Forks. Otherwise the bikes were nearly identical. 

I owned both a 99 and a 00 300, both were good bikes, torque like you wont believe, I was a fan of the FMF Fatty pipe instead of the Gnarly because the gnarly pipe just had so much torque it was more than I could use while the fatty added some over rev that gave the 300 a broader power range. 

If you make the trade you will not be disappointed. But if you don't know the guy selling it , don't trust what they say about recent maintenance unless they have proof. I bought my ktm 200 the guy said it had 15 hours on the top end and I pulled the head off and found the piston was burnt and scratched up. Don't trust them until u see it for urself

I think I can borrow a compression gauge from a friend and check the compression. What should the compression be on a 2t in good condition?

The compression test is a good start, it should be around 170psi but regardless of compression the safest thing to do is buy a top end kit so YOU know how many hours are on it yourself. It's almost a must if you are buying a used 2 stroke bike w/o hour meter. Top ends are pretty easy to do yourself

Are conditions of the bikes comparable?  Any cash being exchanged?  I would think some cash your way since yours is 6 years newer would be fair.  Unless his is much cleaner, or you really want it that bad,