Sign in to follow this  

bought a spare wheel...doesn't fit. Need measurements!

Hey all, so I picked up a spare wheel so I can make trips up to the Silver Lake sand dunes in Mears, Michigan. Well I go it from some powersports store, they claim it came off an 03 yz250f, I have an 05. Claims fitment is the same so I figured hell why not. Well I had the tire put on(I was feeling too lazy to do it myself) the other day, went to put the wheel on and it doesn't fit. The axle from my what I presume is an OEM wheel is too large in diameter. So I used a digital caliber and measured the inside of the hub to see if I could just swap bearings out, turns out the hub on the wheel I received is a tad smaller. Ill attach picture so you can see. So in a panic me and a couple buddies swapped tires on the wheels so I can atleast make the trip to the dunes this weekend. 

Now, with that said here is my issue:

Can someone kindly take the rear wheel off of an 05, or same design and give me a measurement of the rear axle diameter?

That way I can confirm, that I do in fact have an OEM wheel, and my spare wheel is indeed from another bike, or maybe what I believe to be an OEM wheel, may have a different sized hub. If that is the case I can order an OEM axle to fit said spare wheel.

If not, should I just send the wheel back and hope that I get lucky on the next purchase? It is far too much of a pain to be switching back and forth between a paddle and knobbies.

I would appreciate any help, thanks guys!

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398657386.668836.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398657398.960152.jpg

The first picture shows a measurement of 46.85mm(spare wheel) and the original wheel shows a measurement of 50.83mm(might be a tad too much on the measurement). So as you can see their is physically a difference in wheels. If I need what bike it came out of I would just buy an axle then put it in but now I have no idea...

Edited by jirish17

05 WR/YZ is 22MM, same part numbers, and I measured mine.

Parts fisch shows different part numbers for 03 WR/YZ, but I don't have axle off one of them right now. Looks to be maybe 20mm.

Why didn't you just measure the ID of the bearings? You measured the outer races.

There may be another bearing which will match your axle.

I didn't even notice that the part numbers indifferent. I'm going to see if the local shop has an axle for an 03, if they do and it fits then i could just buy that right?

Check your bearing ID's, but they should be a direct swap.

I put this together when I was looking for a spare set of wheels for ice tires last winter.  In a nut shell (if I remember right), any front wheel from '99-'13 (yz/yzf/wrf) are interchangeable.  In 2014 they went to a larger front axle.  For the rear, '99-'08 are interchangeable, '09-current (2014) are interchangeable.  You can make a pre '09 work with a '09+ if you make the right spacers.

Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17tzDNRtCxwRCxUxmi81JcymG2fjKhbs-JjMDqSuuc3A/edit?usp=sharing

Yamaha_Wheelsets.jpg

Edited by yz250f_spud