Sign in to follow this  

Pros & Cons of running a flywheel weight

I have no experiences with running extra weight on the flywheel just wondering the good and bad of doing so. Will it put strain on crank bearings ? ect .ect .  I just ride trails usually, on a 01 cr250 would it be beneficial or a waste ?

It will make all the difference in the world for the better , the only downside , if you can call it that is it takes away a bit of engine breaking , but 2 strokes dont have as much as a 4 stroke anyway , so you wont notice it that much , other than that , you will have less if any stalling depending on how well your bike is jetted and (depending on the size flywheel or weight you choose) , the larger the weight the less stalling and more lugging you can do

It will turn it into a entire different bike and you will wonder why you waited so long to do it  , i have a 13oz weight on my 02 450R (yes its a 4 stroke but its a MX bike now transformed into a reliable trail bike because of the flywheel weight) and it along with me re-valving the suspension , made it into a fun to ride reliable trail bike , that i can still take to the MX track and fly  , the weight helps for both track and trail

Hope that answered your questions ! :ride:

• Like 3

It will make all the difference in the world for the better , the only downside , if you can call it that is it takes away a bit of engine breaking , but 2 strokes dont have as much as a 4 stroke anyway , so you wont notice it that much , other than that , you will have less if any stalling depending on how well your bike is jetted and (depending on the size flywheel or weight you choose) , the larger the weight the less stalling and more lugging you can do

It will turn it into a entire different bike and you will wonder why you waited so long to do it  , i have a 13oz weight on my 02 450R (yes its a 4 stroke but its a MX bike now transformed into a reliable trail bike because of the flywheel weight) and it along with me re-valving the suspension , made it into a fun to ride reliable trail bike , that i can still take to the MX track and fly  , the weight helps for both track and trail

Hope that answered your questions ! :ride:

Looking at the MSR brand 11oz or 12 oz. same price . It's jetted perfectly Always starts first kick cold or hot . perfect plug color and a 250 so power all over. i did change the gearing to a 14/51 just tinkering around . So in your opinion will the 12oz be sufficient or go heavier ? With a 13oz. 

I ran an 11oz fww on my kx250. Strictly trail ridden. And i didnt have a bad thing to say about it. Smoother, more tractable, less stalling. I swear it started even easier, and it really didnt seem to rob any power, just changed how it was delivered. Made it into a much more confidence inspiring machine on the trails. I would go heavier if i bought another one.

• Like 2

No downside at all. Your bike will start easier, idle nicer, stall less and have a tamer powerband. The flatter you want the powerband, the heavier you should go on the FW. I think the average woods 2502T guy goes +10 to +13oz.

• Like 1

I was considering one, and found them to be quite expensive for what they are. I instead put that money towards  a Rekluse clutch, and know I made the right choice

• Like 1

I was considering one, and found them to be quite expensive for what they are. I instead put that money towards  a Rekluse clutch, and know I made the right choice

I chose BOTH.

• Like 2

No Offense....But...

A  Flywheel or Flywheel weight is about $100-$250 max , a Rekluse is $400 minimum to $1,000 , so i dont follow the Flywheel or Weight is too expensive logic  , to me you have it backwards  , the Rekluse is waaaaay overpriced for what it is  , the Auto Clutch has been in dirt bikes since the 60's (Honda Trail 90 , Honda Fat Cat in the 80's) and has been around way longer than that , so it should be about $150 max  , i dont see how $100 is too much money , but $400 is a drop in the bucket  ?? , that makes no sense at all  , i will still tell the OP that the Flywheel or Weight is his best bang for the buck and will do what he wants for minimal cost

Edited by 450XJimDirt
  • Like 6

No Offense....But...

A  Flywheel or Flywheel weight is about $100-$250 max , a Rekluse is $400 minimum to $1,000 , so i dont follow the Flywheel or Weight is too expensive logic  , to me you have it backwards  , the Rekluse is waaaaay overpriced for what it is  , the Auto Clutch has been in dirt bikes since the 60's (Honda Trail 90 , Honda Fat Cat in the 80's) and has been around way longer than that , so it should be about $150 max  , i dont see how $100 is too much money , but $400 is a drop in the bucket  ?? , that makes no sense at all  , i will still tell the OP that the Flywheel or Weight is his best bang for the buck and will do what he wants for minimal cost

Agreed

• Like 1

i will still tell the OP that the Flywheel or Weight is his best bang for the buck and will do what he wants for minimal cost

+1 maybe the BEST mod ive ever done was adding a +9 flywheel to my 06 yz450. I also only ride MX and even thoug the "hit" is gone now i can roll on the power even sooner and relly get set up to drive out of a corner not worring about a jerky response.

Edited by ekulb14
  • Like 2

A agrees with above poster I don't agree they are expensive for what they are especially considering the dramatic positive effect it had on my 2012 yz450 how many other mods make such a difference for a hundred dollars. I don't make a lot of money and that was a hundred dollars that was well spent. I'm not even sayin that the auto clutch might not be better for you but it's six times the price. The fly wheel did what I wanted better throttle control for low speed situations when I'm not at the track. I'm sure you will like either one but if pulling in the clutch doesn't bother and it saves your wife or girlfriend from punching you in the face because you just spent 600 or more on a clutch get a fly wheel weight like me. :)

If you do decide to go with a FWW go heavier at first. I know steahly will shave off weight for free if you think its to much. For example, if you get a 9oz and you still want some of the hit gone there is nothing you can do. If you go with the 13oz and you feel it takes away to much hit you can send it back and they'll shave it down to an 11oz for free, you just pay shipping. Personally I don't like a FWW for MX but if I'm doing trails that day I'll put it on.

• Like 1

Wonder if both could be used ? I was also thinking of installing EXP clutch at a later date 

No Offense....But...

And found a used on on ebay 60 bucks asking price bid starts at 10  :rolleyes: i guess i could rig up mounting tools .

I increased the flywheel weight by 11 oz on an early XR by using a later year rotor. Although the XR engines are low speed and known for their bottom end torque the extra flywheel weight made a difference; lower and smoother idle speed, less brake stall on downhills, etc. 

I have a 2T Trials bike with a high compression ratio and the heavy flywheel makes it almost unstoppable, on steep hills it will recover and pull from "kickstarter speeds".

So for trail riding all of my experiences with heavy flywheels have been positive.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your opinions , I've never used one but seen them used or installed . I hate to cut his balls off ( take the hit out )  :lol: but this may be  my next addition . I kinda like to hit a longer straight and open it up and hang on for dear life , oops 

IMG_2026.JPG