2014 Tech 10s vs Fox Instinct

Im looking for a new boot that offers good ankle protection, and comfortable.  I have been running the 2014 Tech 3s and they are not holding up, lack of ankle support, buckles are very tough to deal with, and lack of shifter feel.  I need a new pair.  I was considering the Tech 7s but Im wondering if I should switch brands.  Im not impressed with how my Tech 3s held up.  Anyhow Im new to the sport and need some advice.

Edited by byz250F

Neither, they both aren't that great... Although the 14 t10 is better it isn't as good as others.

My opinion would be the sg12, or sidi srs2 (if your foot will fit it). They both have great ankle protection.

I have a pair of sg12s and a few weeks back I got my foot twisted up under my bike in a deep rut, probably would have broken (or at least badly sprained) my ankle in a different boot.

Sg12s also feel like your wearing slippers, super comfortable.

I love my tech 10s. I owned sidi srs crossfires and the tech 10s are better in every way except they are a bit bulkier. The sidis are reslly slim but they are not stiff enough under where the pivot system is. They buckled there and my ankle was dislocated and broke multiple bones. Im positive had i been wearing my old oxtars, or tech 10s i.would have not even noticed that impact.

I went to local dealer that had 2014 Tech 7s, Tech 10s and the Fox instinct.  Unfortunatley they didnt have the Gaerne boots in stock to try out.  I did not care for the Tech 10 boots, they were just to tight on me.  The Fox instinct felt like the best built boot.  The Tech 7 seemed like an ok choice and most likely this is what  I will go with for the rest of this year. 

I went to local dealer that had 2014 Tech 7s, Tech 10s and the Fox instinct. Unfortunatley they didnt have the Gaerne boots in stock to try out. I did not care for the Tech 10 boots, they were just to tight on me. The Fox instinct felt like the best built boot. The Tech 7 seemed like an ok choice and most likely this is what I will go with for the rest of this year.

I've heard from so many people saying how the fox instincts fall apart after a handful of hours..

If you want try ordering a pair of sg12s from rmatv, they exchange for free the first time if the boots don't fit. I found the sg12s to fit a 1/2 size big.

Neither, they both aren't that great... Although the 14 t10 is better it isn't as good as others.

My opinion would be the sg12, or sidi srs2 (if your foot will fit it). They both have great ankle protection.

I have a pair of sg12s and a few weeks back I got my foot twisted up under my bike in a deep rut, probably would have broken (or at least badly sprained) my ankle in a different boot.

Sg12s also feel like your wearing slippers, super comfortable.

Do you have the '14 Tech 10's? How many hours have you worn them? If you don't have them, and worn them for awhile then your comment is useless since you have no experience with them.

Do you have the '14 Tech 10's? How many hours have you worn them? If you don't have them, and worn them for awhile then your comment is useless since you have no experience with them.

I don't remember asking you??

Just kidding, bur umm, I don't own tech10s simply because I'm not going to spend my money on them when there are plenty of other great boots on the market.

The only upside I see to astars is that they have good customer service.

Edited by CR250_182

Ok so I have now tried on 14 Tech 7s and Tech 10s, Fox Instinct, and the Gaerne SG 12s.  The Gaerne SG 12 are comfortable but seem to give a lot of wiggle room in the toe area.  The Tech 7s seem to be the most comfortable but at the same time I am noticing the boots that are most comfortable are allowing the most amount of ankle freedom.....which this may not be a good thing.  Considering I have bad ankles this is a concern to me.  The Tech 10 seemed to have the best ankle support, but I was not a fan of how the boot flexes.  It just doesnt seem like they would last as long as the SG12s or the Fox boots with the pivot points.  I could be wrong but this is just what it felt like to me.

Here's a biased opinion. Go with the a stars. I have the 2014 tech 10s they are awesome but clunky. You are right. The tech 7 was my last boot and work well but not best protection. It's hard to adjust to the 10s after those. When I first got them last year I was riding well in them but when I started riding again it was like getting used to them all over again. I think the instinct boots would be that way too. Overall fox boots have always been cheaply made and chincy. I have only worn a stars my whole riding life and will never change that unless quality does.

Edited by perkybewbs
  • Like 1

Here's a biased opinion. Go with the a stars. I have the 2014 tech 10s they are awesome but clunky. You are right. The tech 7 was my last boot and work well but not best protection. It's hard to adjust to the 10s after those. When I first got them last year I was riding well in them but when I started riding again it was like getting used to them all over again. I think the instinct boots would be that way too. Overall fox boots have always been cheaply made and chincy. I have only worn a stars my whole riding life and will never change that unless quality does.

So did you like your Tech 7s better then your 14 Tech 10s?  I have tie up ankle protectors I wear inside my Tech 3s right now and I know that would offer more ankle protection then the tech 10 booties.  Im torn between the 10s, the 7s and the SG12s.

So did you like your Tech 7s better then your 14 Tech 10s? I have tie up ankle protectors I wear inside my Tech 3s right now and I know that would offer more ankle protection then the tech 10 booties. Im torn between the 10s, the 7s and the SG12s.

I would say yes and no. I think they are flimsy but they work well and I never knew what I had until I ran the 10's. With the sg12 you will face the same problem except worse. They are much clunkier. I tried some on and hated them. They don't seem easy to ride in. The t10 are great boots and for some reason I loved them when I first got them but stopped riding for a while and I can't ride worth a damn in them now. They are really prohibitive. Just my opinion. The 7 will wear out quick but are much shorter than the 10 too. The tens are tall boots as are the sg12. Report back when you make a purchase and ride in them.

I would say yes and no. I think they are flimsy but they work well and I never knew what I had until I ran the 10's. With the sg12 you will face the same problem except worse. They are much clunkier. I tried some on and hated them. They don't seem easy to ride in. The t10 are great boots and for some reason I loved them when I first got them but stopped riding for a while and I can't ride worth a damn in them now. They are really prohibitive. Just my opinion. The 7 will wear out quick but are much shorter than the 10 too. The tens are tall boots as are the sg12. Report back when you make a purchase and ride in them.

ok cool, well I ordered a set today, I hope to have them by next wednesday.  Hopefully I will use them by next weekend.

Im looking for a new boot that offers good ankle protection, and comfortable.  I have been running the 2014 Tech 3s and they are not holding up, lack of ankle support, buckles are very tough to deal with, and lack of shifter feel.  I need a new pair.  I was considering the Tech 7s but Im wondering if I should switch brands.  Im not impressed with how my Tech 3s held up.  Anyhow Im new to the sport and need some advice.

sg12 gaerne