Sign in to follow this  

96 yz125 problems

I have a 1996 yz125 with a few problems. First off I just redid the top end, good compression, piston is right and so are the rings. I have good spark and the plug is fine. And the crank seal is good and I cleaned the carb. But It doesn't want to start. I finally got it started with starter fluid in the cylinder and the carb. After that it ran fine. However today I tried getting it started and the same thing happened. I'm kinda lost so if anyone has any ideas that would be sweet. Also my shift lever won't move at all. And the clutch is very hard to pull back and it doesn't release when I do pull it back. Any help on that would be nice.

Thanks

Have you checked compression again? Hows the spark? How does the plug look after kicking so many times? Drain the oil and take off the clutch cover. Check if anything looks bad. Its easy to take the clutch pack out. Just watch a bid on YouTube. Just make sure the plates all go back on in the correct order.

Spark and compression are still good. Although the plug is a little dry like not wet at all really. And I'll look into the clutch thing and drain it. Thanks for the info

Its pretty easy for the clutch cable on YZ125s to get crushed/melted by the exhaust. Disconnect the cable and work the lower arm with a set of channel locks/long pliers. If it moves okay, your issue is lever/cable related. Most likely seized cable only.

Hows the starting thing going. Still doing the same thing?

Yeah I'm 98% sure it's not the cable it's hard to move with a pliers even. But thanks for the idea. And it still won't start it's a pain!

Have you had a chance to check the Jets and see if they are correct for this year and model? 

Also what have you done with the fuel air mixture screw? Have you adjusted it to the correct position. 

The correct pilot jet is your starting circuit and this along with the correct settiing on the fuel mixture screw will set the starting. 

Come back to me with the answers and I will see if I can help you set it up.