Sign in to follow this  

Which supermoto bikeshould i choose?

Hey everyone,

Ive been riding both road and dirt for a while now and ive recently become really interested in buying a supermoto bike.

Ive heard a lot of good things about the DRZ400SM but being a dirt rider i know the DRZ is a very quick, light and overall fun bike.

Is the SM version completely different from the other DRZs?

Is it the bike i should be buying or should i do a conversion from a proper enduro bike?

Please help.

Thanks,

Scranna

Don't get me wrong, I love my DRZ sm...  but very quick and light are not words I'd use to describe it :lol: . It's actually heavier and slower than most sm bikes ...but it does everything else well and it's cheaper and very dependable. 

• Like 2

And it is retardely reliable. I got 50k+ miles on mine. I just rode it on a 400 mile day trip including 75miles of interstate. My wifes klx250sf is the same way. Her bike is slower but in the city it is more fun. The 250sf feels ligjt and flickable. Plus it likes being revved to the moon. I also enjoy riding the wr250x. Modified they are quick for a 250

I'd personally go DRZ or WR in street trim size is whatever you want but I'd be looking for a 400-450. The extra weight isn't as a limiting factor when you aren't trying to squeeze between trees in 2nd gear

the S and SM versions are nearly identical. The motors are the same as is the frame, the body and electrical(except the tail light).  Where they differ is in the swing arm(same physical dimensions but the SM runs an RM style arm while the S model has the "snail" type adjusters).  The forks(the SM has RM style USD forks while the S retains the conventional forks).  With those 2 differences come a few minor things like the SM rear caliper bracket is different and the sm runs a 240mm rear rotor, while the S runs a smaller rear rotor.

I ran my S model as an SM for awhile before i made the jump to track only bikes.  it did well off road, on the track and on the street.  I used mine mostly stock for about 9 years before i got an exhaust, cams and FCR carb.

The bike you choose really depends on what you want to get out of it.  The drz isnt light but is one of the few OEM supermotos you can buy.  It also has a healthy aftermarket so you can buy a used one(they haven't changed except color) and mod to your hearts delight as money becomes available.  The drz will never be light.  You could spend serious money or hack it up custom mod things and get down to 280lbs if you are lucky.

If i had to build a street SM that could handle the track, the street and the dirt and had a healthy budget i would get a KTM 500 exc or a 350exc.  Both great bikes, good power, light weight, factory street legal.  Because KTM offers factory supermoto race bikes, used parts and even new factory parts are easy to come by and aren't expensive.

On a budget(say 3-4k) i would look for a decent wr450 that has been plated or maybe a honda crf450x that has been plated already.

No supermoto will be a good highway cruiser.  They work but they just aren't made to cruise at highway speeds for long periods.  The wind is hard on the bike and your body.  You can do it yet but if your main function is to ride 55mph + for long stretches then look into some of the larger SMs like ktm 690 smc.

• Like 1

Of the bikes I like on a reliability basis, the Suzook DRZ and the Yamaha WR450. Both will and should get you many many miles of good riding without much wrenching. The WR a little more work to get in supermoto trim however more potential when finished, the Suzook can be bought as a SM.

My vote is a WR over DRZ

1) Power power  

2) Ligher 

3) Better suspension for all around use (street and dirt)

I got the WR because of these factors for me. I indeed to get a SM set up at some point so I can have two bikes for one. 

Yes, the drz will have "better" service intervals but with proper care both bikes are bullet proof. 

Take a look at this vid. 

Ah, been there done that with his Suzuki's. Stock there kinda like a truck with a big lawnmower motor. But it's a testament that he uses them in his school. There are reliable and in the right hands capable of putting down some decent lap times.

I much prefer the lighter and the stronger motor of the WR450. But they are a lot more work, as they do not come stock in supermoto trim and a built DRZ is also very nice. I like reliability.

The real question is how fast are you willing to go.  Reconstructive surgery should be avoided.

Ah, been there done that with his Suzuki's. Stock there kinda like a truck with a big lawnmower motor. But it's a testament that he uses them in his school. There are reliable and in the right hands capable of putting down some decent lap times.

I much prefer the lighter and the stronger motor of the WR450. But they are a lot more work, as they do not come stock in supermoto trim and a built DRZ is also very nice. I like reliability.

Ya, to get the WR450 to a SM trim is a bit of work but really one could do wheels and rubber and be ok. The big rotor is a plus but I have heard of people running the stock one and doing just fine. You will not be able to turn out pro laps times but if you are looking for more of a recreational use then stock rotor should suffice. 

Ya, to get the WR450 to a SM trim is a bit of work but really one could do wheels and rubber and be ok. The big rotor is a plus but I have heard of people running the stock one and doing just fine. You will not be able to turn out pro laps times but if you are looking for more of a recreational use then stock rotor should suffice. 

You know a rotor and relocation bracket isn't expensive.

I've racked up about 8k miles on my klx450r. And its still doing alright. If you're going to ride a lot I'd recommend a drz

1406663231223.jpg

Day two with the drz400sm, this thing is a blast. I have so much confidence whipping it into corners it's awesome. I was always kind of scared to really lean my old ZX636 over, but it seems like this things just falls right into the corners. I'm surprised by the stock D208's I'll probably get either pilot powers or the conti attack Sm tires next, but these aren't bad at all. I'd recommend the DRZ400SM. It's actually got a decent amount of power in my opinion, but the handling is just sweet.