Sign in to follow this  

putting grips on stock 2013 KTM250sx renthal bars

Trying to put a set of renthal dual compound grips on a set of stock renthal KTM fatbars on my 2013 250sx. Problem is when I went to go put the grip on the left side, it is smooth. It is not knurled like every other bar I have ever seen. How is the grip supposed to stay put? I used Renthal grip glue and safety wire, and it still moves around. I like the bend of the bars so don't want to replace them, and Ive always used Renthal grips so really dont want anything else. I guess if I had to I could use those new ODI Emig lock on grips. Any ideas?

If you used grip glue and wire and they move your glue is bad, or it's not getting enough time to cure. I put mine on with spray paint and they don't budge.

Did you use spray paint on renthal grips? Just wondering because renthal always says use their brand glue. Never tried it any other way. Also did you put them on the stock ktm bars with the smooth left end? I really think that's the problem. This is the first set of bars I've seen with the left end smooth instead of knurled.

I find the knurled ends are harder to get the grips to adhere to. Like Poldies mentioned, get yourself some clear spray paint and let it cure 24 hours before touching them once you get them positioned

• Like 1

I have taken a file and scored my bars for better adhesion...then spray the inside grips with Aqua Net and slide them on.  I set the grips with compressed air from my air tank and then safety wire them tight.  Never have had a problem with this method.  If you need to replace your grips later on, all you do is use compressed air to slide them off without all the residue you get from grip glue!

Did you use spray paint on renthal grips? Just wondering because renthal always says use their brand glue. Never tried it any other way. Also did you put them on the stock ktm bars with the smooth left end? I really think that's the problem. This is the first set of bars I've seen with the left end smooth instead of knurled.

I am running the stock Renthal bars, can't remember if they are knurled or not, and I've been using the stock KTM grips. On my 3rd set and I like them a lot.

Not sure why Renthal grips would be any different to install than the others.

Like a few of us mentioned, put a squirt of spray paint or hair spray in the grip, and slide it on and position it. Let it sit to cure and you should be good. Renthal says use their glue so they can sell the stuff, it's all the same....

ok thanks guys! Its my first KTM so I'm sure I'll have some more questions for you guys in the future.

I use nothing but Renthal Kevlar grips and use the spray paint method to adhere them. Haven't had them budge yet, but I usually put a band or two of grip wire also just to be safe. Don't spray too much in the grip or the excess will run out and get on your bars and drip into the floor.

I never use grip glue. I hate that stuff. It is a pain in the butt!  I clean the grips inside with alcohol. Dry them and put them on with compressed air. Then I wire them. They never move at all.  If the bars had grips glued to them before I have to clean them very well with brake cleaner to get all the old glue off or the new grips will slide off no matter how many times I tie wire them.