hey guys, new to the forum and was looking for a bit of advice on which bike would suit me the best. I have been really keen on getting a crf250r, yz250f, kx250f ect or even a wr250f or crf250x although these two bikes can get fairly pricey also after riding my mates yz125 i am considering a 2t 125 for me it felt like plenty of power but during the time we were riding (2 days) it broke down 3 times ranging from a simple spark plug to the engine blowing up so im still leaning more towards getting a 4t 250. I am also thinking that, although It will be a massive jump from a little 100 to a 250, It will last me for ages and I probably wont have to upgrade to a bigger bike, whereas if I were to buy a 1252t I might get sick of it breaking down so much that I will probably end up going to a 250 4t. I will be riding the bike mainly on the farm and planning on taking it to local tracks on weekends. I was just wondering what year specific bikes undertook major changes to performance, handling etc. and also the advantages and disadvantages of each bike, i currently own an absolutely bulletproof xr100r but i have well and truely grown out of it being a 15yo 5'9-11 teenager any advice/info would be much appreciated :)

Cheers Matt

Definitely, go with a 125 2 stroke, they are so much lighter, with the same amount of power as a 250 four stroke. If you've ever watched 250 four strokes race on a supercross track, they all take the same line, because they have no power. A 125 will be reliable as long as you change the oil and regularly maintenance it.

250f are not bulletproof. It's true that the 250f engine will run longer(usually), but it will be a lot more expensive in the long run cause of the number and the price of engines parts. The 125s now have a lot less peak hp than 250fs(34 vs 40+) and they are more an on off type of power but I think they are more fun to ride and it will be a big upgrade from an xr100. If you plan getting a 250f used, it's important that the bike is to notch, cause it could cost you a lot of money. I would forgot the cfr250x and wr if you plan riding on a motocross track. Im riding a 09 yz125 and i like it a lot. I'm riding the trails with it and it's not too bad but it's not engineered for it. The 250fs may be better for trails riding but they have a tendency of overheating at slow speed cause of the extra engine parts. For me it would be a 125(that's what i did) but 250fs are a nice option too as long as it received a good maintenance over it's life.

125: yamaha yz125(2006-today) ktm 125sx(im not sure)

250f:it all depends of the shape of the bike usually 2010+ bikes are good but i would stay away from suzuki cuz they are not reliable

All bikes are funs.

Make sure you know how to take care of your bike well, cause they need a lot more love than an xr100.

• Like 1

250f are not bulletproof. It's true that the 250f engine will run longer(usually), but it will be a lot more expensive in the long run cause of the number and the price of engines parts. The 125s now have a lot less peak hp than 250fs(34 vs 40+) and they are more an on off type of power but I think they are more fun to ride and it will be a big upgrade from an xr100. If you plan getting a 250f used, it's important that the bike is to notch, cause it could cost you a lot of money. I would forgot the cfr250x and wr if you plan riding on a motocross track. Im riding a 09 yz125 and i like it a lot. I'm riding the trails with it and it's not too bad but it's not engineered for it. The 250fs may be better for trails riding but they have a tendency of overheating at slow speed cause of the extra engine parts. For me it would be a 125(that's what i did) but 250fs are a nice option too as long as it received a good maintenance over it's life.

125: yamaha yz125(2006-today) ktm 125sx(im not sure)

250f:it all depends of the shape of the bike usually 2010+ bikes are good but i would stay away from suzuki cuz they are not reliable

All bikes are funs.

Make sure you know how to take care of your bike well, cause they need a lot more love than an xr100.

dude any Japanese dirt bike brand is reliable. Suzuki is reliable
  • Like 6

A YZF will be more expensive on a rebuild due to it's 5-valve head. Everyone gives me shit on it, but I hate the design of the Yami head. I'm Honda biased, but I would go with a cr250f. I would grab whichever one comes along for the best deal.

The carb yz was about the same power of the crf but the 2014 is way more powerful. 

The yz are the most reliable 250f engine, but it's true the sohc(honda unicam) have less parts in the head so it's cheaper if you got damage. But almos every 4 stroke motocross bikes are dohc. Theres only the new ktm 450 and the honda that use a sohc head design.

when they start fuel injecting they yz and crf?

crf250r: 2010

yz25f: 2014.

If you buy a used 250F and you do not know the full history and the previous owner(s) then don't get suckered into paying too much for any used bike unless your sure it's done very few hours.  If abused or not maintained then any 250F motor is like a time bomb.  Honda and Yam are the toughest but they can be ruined easily too.

If you buy a used YZ125, then budget for a new piston+ring kit every 40 hours. About $120 a pop. 

Probably the best thing you could do is be patient and hunt around for a low hours 125, then buy it, and budget for a bolt on 144cc cylinder+piston kit for it, plus a suspension service, then enjoy a brilliant bike that is super low cost to run. The 144 pistons are as easy to buy as the std bore. If you want some more low RPM grunt from the 144, then look into the FMF Gnarly pipe.   For an example on the YZ125 reliability see  http://www.dirtrider.com/features/2013-yamaha-yz125-long-haul-wrap-up/

Edited by numroe
  • Like 1

Thanks for all of that, What are some things to look for (engine wise) in a used 250f?

Engine wise, one of the best things to look at, is the owner. Including any receipts or replaced parts. His workshop, tools, and other machines.

• Like 1

And what is a good amount of hours to look for in a bike?

Hard to say. If the bike has been thoroughly well maintained, and ridden by a rider that doesn't flog the bike (eg. transmission) then high hours doesn't matter much.