Sign in to follow this  

'08 Piston in a '06 WR250 ?

Does anyone have experience installing the 08 (higher compression) cylinder in an older bike?

I have an 06 WR250 and I am getting ready to order a new cylinder set.

What would be the advantages of using the higher compression cylinder? Thx

what ronbuell said.

Edited by etxxz

MeWR250F- I believe you are referring to using the 2008 Yam OEM piston in your 06 WR250F. Yes, that will work just fine.

You will see an increase of low end power- not huge, but certainly noticeable. On the downside, you may have just a tad less pull up on top, although a WR doesn't rev like a YZF anyway.

For reliability, the Yam OEM type piston is good.

I can tell you this- When the day comes that my WR needs a piston (I ride the YZF most of the time), I have a 08 piston waiting for it.

Thank you all, I almost ordered the '06 piston but since everything works fine right now I just adjusted the valves and decided to revisit the subject at the end of the season and study my options. I could use that low end bit more power, easier to pop wheelies :)

Aside from piston, rings, piston pin and gaskets I assume there's nothing else needed if the valves are fine?

I also assume everything else aside from piston/ring/piston pin has to be for 06. I do plan to use OEM

Just checked the piston part numbers and they are:

2006 WR250f- Part# 5NL-11631-20-00 piston, Part# 5NL-11603-00-00 for rings

2008 WR250FX - Part# 5NL-11631-20-00 piston, Part# 5NL-11603-00-00 for rings, so no change whatsoever from 2006

2008 YZ250F - Part# 5XC-11631-00-00 piston, Part# 5NL-11603-00-00 for rings.

So the change/ upgrade is in the 2008 YZ piston, and  that is what I need. Can anyone confirm? Thx