Sign in to follow this  

best way to wash bike?

Just bought a new drz400s and slop it through muddy trails at least twice a week. Looking for some good products to remove mud stains on the hard to reach places, and a good chain degreaser so i can clean up the chain nice and lubricate it with out ruining o rings. I normally blast it off in the car wash. My dad has a good power washer too as he paints for a living, also has his old power washer that doesnt have enough pressure for his use, he doesn't use anymore he was trying to sell to me.

I use simple green, or engine degreaser when I run out of the good industrial car cleaner my neighbor hooks me up with, spray it let it sit and pressure spray it, repeat a few times if need be

Just bought a new drz400s and slop it through muddy trails at least twice a week. Looking for some good products to remove mud stains on the hard to reach places, and a good chain degreaser so i can clean up the chain nice and lubricate it with out ruining o rings. I normally blast it off in the car wash. My dad has a good power washer too as he paints for a living, also has his old power washer that doesnt have enough pressure for his use, he doesn't use anymore he was trying to sell to me.

Buy the power washer, Do not aim it at bearings, seals or the carburettor.

I use truck wash on the bike, some people use simple green. I use engine degreaser on the greasy and oily bits.

After the bike has been power washed, I scrub it. 

After this blast it dry w/ compressed air.

I then oil the plastics and all parts of the bike except the brakes (obviously) and seat with a local equivalent of WD40.

I oil the chain with engine oil. There is no substitute for scrubbing when it comes to cleaning.

And buy this I mean using sponges and brushes.

Sometimes this takes up to two hours.

If you can, buy a soap sprayer for the pressure washer.

Edited by BushPig
  • Like 1

wd-40 to oil the plastics bushpig, and you like that cleaning product maico?

Yeah, the stuff I use is called INOX. It adds a shine and helps to clean them. Makes them slippery and attracts dust though, but I can handle that. 

inox%20lubricant%2020litre%20-%20Google%

The DRZ has a steel frame right? Pay attention to where there's bare steel, don't let it rust.

I went to the dollar store and bought there equivalent of a orange citrus clean and a small toilet bowl brush.I use a rag on the plastics and the brush to get into the hard spots. The orange citrus clean works great and for a buck you can't beat it!

The best way? Grab a beer, lawn chair, and kick back and watch the wife / girlfriend wash it :-)

• Like 2

wd-40 to oil the plastics bushpig, and you like that cleaning product maico?

Yes, I hate washing bikes and I'm not an elbow greese kinda person so I used to power wash but found that this Proclean and regular hose worked better.  I just use these two and I don't scrub anything and it works for me.

I use it at the end of this video too:

power washer simple green/car wash cocktail and rags/bucket plus a leaf blower.  I power wash the whole bike, go easy on carb boots and electronics. then a good scrub down and power wash again. use the leaf blower and make sure you get close and get everything,you want it almost dry. 

Lay the bike on its side with the handle bar end resting on a stand and get the bottom side all clean, then lay it on the other side and do it again. Then stand it up straight and wash it like that. Green scratch pads are great for aluminum and pipes.  

Yeah, the stuff I use is called INOX. It adds a shine and helps to clean them. Makes them slippery and attracts dust though, but I can handle that. 

inox%20lubricant%2020litre%20-%20Google%

The DRZ has a steel frame right? Pay attention to where there's bare steel, don't let it rust.

I use honda polish on plastics it cleans shines and it doesn't leave a film to attract more dirt. 

1 spray bottle of purple power degreaser avaliable at autozone.

1 dish sponge.

1 bottle of dish soap.

Garden hose connected to hot water outlet normally for your washing machine.

Remove seat, remove air filter, place filter inside plastic bag, reinstall filter. Leave seat off. Remove chain. Wet bike and under fenders. Spray purple power on the linkage, greasy engine spots, sprockets, and inside airbox.

Use sponge and dish soap to scrub all of the plastics.

Rinse with the scalding hot water.

Avoiding the fork seals.

Dry her off.

And if you want to make her pretty use scotch bright and wd40 on the aluminum frame.

And wipe the motor down with wd40.

F##K, some of you guys do really overthink something as simple as cleaning a dirt bike. It sounds like a mechanic could rebuild the bike

quicker than some people can wash it.lol

• Like 1

F##K, some of you guys do really overthink something as simple as cleaning a dirt bike. It sounds like a mechanic could rebuild the bike

quicker than some people can wash it.lol

I let him know the best way to clean it. 

And yes, a top end is actually somewhat quick work and its best to start clean.

quicker than some people can wash it.loll

lol if your referring to me,

not really over thought.

My stuff is no junk :p

pulling the seat will be done anyways to service the air filter. takes what 1 min with a T handle?

plus you dont get your seat foam wet im sure that helps preserve it.

removing the chain is done because i clean my sprockets. I use Sunstar works aluminum hard anodized sprocket and RK UW ring chain.  Not junk!

although its sealed id prefer to never get the chain wet, and i keep my sprockets squeaky clean.. if you don't clean them you basically have grinding compound on your sprockets all the time and wont last very long.

purple power gets the engine and linkage looking good but is not too harsh and does not ruin the look of the aluminum.

and my hot water does not take long at all, i actually have quick disconnects on the hose bibs :p

m0tYHaOfsaTFkAemAmMJ7EQ.jpg

lol if your referring to me,

not really over thought.

My stuff is no junk :p

pulling the seat will be done anyways to service the air filter. takes what 1 min with a T handle?

plus you dont get your seat foam wet im sure that helps preserve it.

removing the chain is done because i clean my sprockets. I use Sunstar works aluminum hard anodized sprocket and RK UW ring chain.  Not junk!

although its sealed id prefer to never get the chain wet, and i keep my sprockets squeaky clean.. if you don't clean them you basically have grinding compound on your sprockets all the time and wont last very long.

purple power gets the engine and linkage looking good but is not too harsh and does not ruin the look of the aluminum.

and my hot water does not take long at all, i actually have quick disconnects on the hose bibs :p

m0tYHaOfsaTFkAemAmMJ7EQ.jpg

Never get the chain wet. :lol:  :lol: