Sign in to follow this  

Trail Riding

Beat the hell outta the bike yesterday riding in some serious deep trails.  Hill climbs left and right, my dad put a beating on me.  At 31 yrs old im sore, I can only imagine how he feels @ 51.  Glad we can still ride together...

Anyway, a couple hours in I hit a hill climb wrong and spilled the bike about 1/2 way up, she started puking coolant.  Not too much but got me thinking I need to make some changes before the brand new rebuilt bike turns into another mess.

I'm going to order some oversize rads from Ebay but see there are quite a few.  Any recommendations before I pull the trigger?  I already have all new hoses.  

Is the Boyseen Supercooler pump worth the $$?

Thanks everyone

lots of threads on how to get the 450 more trail friendly. not familiar with the gpi braces, but the devol rad braces/guards work well for sure too. I have em on both bikes (well, all 3 including a ktm 350). I don't see the point of the expensive boysen wp, especially if you decide to go with oversized rads.

it's going to puke a little coolant if you have it running while not moving air over the rads pretty fast. i would start with a $20 1.6bar cap before anything else.. that will stop the minor coolant puke for the momentary stops that occur FAST with a 1.1bar stock cap (at least some of them). This is by far the best bang for buck, and should be done in conjunction with ANY other coolant system mods you do.

Edited by MELK-MAN

Yep change the cap and don't fill it all the way up leave room for expansion. 

Z start pro and oversized rads. We hit Carolina adventure world yesterday and that place is no joke. Trails trails hill climbs ruts rocks Rivers trails trails.. You get it. 26 miles and my ass was whooped. At the end of the day everybody else's bikes were spitting coolant and mine was still ready for more. I checked today and she didn't loose any. I don't have a aftermarket cap either. Side note- I ordered a set of radiator fins/vents from partzilla last week and they came in. They're black! I didn't even know that was a factory option. Let me know and I'll get you the part numbers if your interested! They're fresh and I don't have to worry about them getting stained like the white ones that look beat after a few months.

Edited by Diggla117

Z start pro and oversized rads. We hit Carolina adventure world yesterday and that place is no joke. Trails trails hill climbs ruts rocks Rivers trails trails.. You get it. 26 miles and my ass was whooped. At the end of the day everybody else's bikes were spitting coolant and mine was still ready for more. I checked today and she didn't loose any. I don't have a aftermarket cap either. Side note- I ordered a set of radiator fins/vents from partzilla last week and they came in. They're black! I didn't even know that was a factory option. Let me know and I'll get you the part numbers if your interested! They're fresh and I don't have to worry about them getting stained like the white ones that look beat after a few months.

Ya sounds good, please send it over. 

I'm not much for the auto clutches....  I rode a wr450 with a Rekluse core and ready didn't like it at all.  

that said, i suppose if I did have an auto clutch I may have no bailed on the one hill....  

lots and LOTS of threads on "to rekluse, or not to rekluse".. My first test ride years ago ? hated it. However after racing harescrambles and riding lots of woods over the last few years all on 4 strokes? I will never own a woods/trail bike without one. A 10-15 min ride is not gonna sway you though, for sure. They have a 30 day money back offer, that is the real way to test an exp3.0 ($400). If you don't like it? in literally 10 minutes you could put your fiber and metal clutch plates that get removed back in and it's stock again.. send it back.

Edited by MELK-MAN

You dont need a Rekluse  , you dont really need larger radiators  , all you need is a flywheel weight , Engine Ice , a 1.6 or higher radiator cap  , and a overflow bottle from a CRF250X  , you can make very simple mounts using Plumbers Tape (the metal rolls with holes in it used to hold plumbing in place) or metal strapping , and gear it properly and jet it properly

I ride a 02 CRF450R in single track , hills, tight nasty woods , and it does not overheat  , IF the temp gets hot enough to puke out some coolant , it goes into the overflow bottle and as the bike cools it sucks it back in to the radiators so you never loose coolant

clw2.jpg

r2yp.jpg

img5916p.jpg

img5938v.jpg

img5936b.jpg

img5937t.jpg

Edited by 450XJimDirt

Lol^ oversized rads... 80-90 bucks and cool twice as much.. Just the motor not constantly running as hot is worth that 90 to me. Nice bottle tho..

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398722291.813107.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398722306.462950.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398722318.978201.jpg

I'm sure they'll look 100% better after I get red plastics again these part numbers fit 05-08

Edited by Diggla117

i would say the fact that oversized rads cool "twice as much" is debatable. :) they hold 50% more coolant as stock rads (i have measured, 320cc vs 220cc) so not 2x as much.. but yes, for sure more capacity which helps. But it's silly to spend that much and take the time to instal radiators, if you don't put on a $20 1.6bar cap.

Simply put, ya don't HAVE to have any of the stuff above. And i'm telling ya, the 1.6 bar cap should be #1 on the list at $20, before $100+ for the radiators or other stuff. Flywheel weight ? sure it's better, but ya don't have to have it. Same with rekluse, suspension, bark busters, skid plates, etc. for that matter ;)  It's all "want" when it comes to outfitting a bike for mx or trails.

I have a ghetto overflow system on my 450's. Just ran a 16oz water bottle between the motor and devol skid plate. had to drill a hole and add a breather and silicone the cap (without the breather it will just explode..lol) The 04 bike gets hot pretty fast even compared to my 08. Both have "the Lot".. Oversized rads, Engine Ice, overflow bottle, 1.6bar cap. Only thing i refuse to buy is an expensive water pump system. And i have about 30 hours on my 2014 ktm 350xcf. it comes stock with a 1.8 BAR cap. it puked coolant pretty fast even stopping for a short while after riding HARD in the woods. I put a 2.0bar cap on and it's helped (and had engine ice from day 1). I won't bother with oversized rads on this thing. If anything? i will get the $140 rad fan that plugs right into the ktm harness. It will be lighter than bigger rads and more coolant (or pretty close) and will do more good

Edited by MELK-MAN

To each his own. When I think about the cap I think I really don't want my motor getting that hot and not being able to release pressure AND it spewing is it's way of telling me to take a break, let it cool off or find some open ground to air it out. Again since I've had the oversized rads my bike hasn't spewed once with regular antifreeze. Liquid ice will be my next step.

Btw melk man about the ktm350.. some bikes I just will not test ride because I don't wanna believe in them and be forced to give up my honda ways.. Enough said

I wonder if those are for the limited edition '08.

nah because I went under part search for my bike, a 06.. But that would make sense because they share the same design n all.. Needless to say it was a pleasant surprise!

To each his own. When I think about the cap I think I really don't want my motor getting that hot and not being able to release pressure AND it spewing is it's way of telling me to take a break, let it cool off or find some open ground to air it out. Again since I've had the oversized rads my bike hasn't spewed once with regular antifreeze. Liquid ice will be my next step.

Btw melk man about the ktm350.. some bikes I just will not test ride because I don't wanna believe in them and be forced to give up my honda ways.. Enough said

yup.. don't ride a well sorted 2014 ktm 350 :) you WILL want one.

on the cap, for riding ? i could justify keeping the 1.1bar cap as you can just pull over. or wait for someone to bring some water if it spit a little out on multiple occasions. But for RACING offroad, like 2hr+ harescrambles/enduro, you don't have that luxury. Not that i will just sit there and let psi build, but in a tight section with lots of lapped riders, or slow tight section, or if i'm stuck momentarily and don't want to risk if it will restart again.. the extra psi cap is ideal. On the aforementioned occasions i would likely loose a little coolant. Do that a number of times over the long race and you are potentially low on coolant. Just to reitorate, i know well enough to shut it off if it truly needs to be shut off. But i agree, not a total 'have' to have but it is a good idea. For now, it's still pretty cool where you are likely riding. But down here in FL ? it hit 91F ... today..

Edited by MELK-MAN

nah because I went under part search for my bike, a 06.. But that would make sense because they share the same design n all.. Needless to say it was a pleasant surprise!

I was at the Honda shop today and asked about using online parts listing. He said they vary a bit from American Honda part lists. I'm putting an '06 trans in '08 cases and we were looking at the '06 parts list. It shows two shift drums, '06 and '08, but when you click on '08 it won't go to the shopping cart.

I was at the Honda shop today and asked about using online parts listing. He said they vary a bit from American Honda part lists. I'm putting an '06 trans in '08 cases and we were looking at the '06 parts list. It shows two shift drums, '06 and '08, but when you click on '08 it won't go to the shopping cart.

Hmm well as long as it bolts up I guess.. Let me know if you need trans parts

well thanks man! I needed 3rd and 5th mainshaft, they will be here thursday. the '08 was pretty beat, thank goodness I bought '06 parts motor. I'm gonna use the right case also. when i bought this '08 I thought it was little rough cosmetically, boy was I fooled. everything is screwed up and this guy let his son race it. he should have been put in jail for child endangerment!

Some good info here, thanks everyone. 

I'm sold on the radiators but I really like the overflow bottle idea as well.   May look into setting up both eventually.

Diggla, I have an 09...  You should know this already from the extensive rebuild thread I had lol....  

Lol damn. I get kinda excited when I get cool parts man my bad. Totally slipped my mind.