Sign in to follow this  

Coolant in combustion!?!?

I have an 01 yz 125 that I have put new top end gaskets on and I'm still having issues with coolant on my spark plug. Any ideas? I haven't seen any cracks in the head. I did see that there is a different type of head gasket besides the two o-rings?

Recently helped a friend with a similar problem with his yz250. He rushed the build and did not get the base gasket done right. Thats where I found the leak. Pressure test the motor.

So I'd say you are either leaking coolant from the base gasket or the head gasket.

There shouldn't be any other gasket on the top of the cylinder other than the 2 O-rings. (At least not on a yz250)

I know with my bike, the outer O-ring wanted to slip in and break while tightening the head down. Did it once and ended up spewing coolant all over the place. Your inner o-ring could have done that, but is just leaking into the cylinder instead of down the side of the engine.

If it's not the o-rings, then it's either a crack or the base gasket.

I got 2 new o rings yesterday. When I get into it again I'm gonna check the head for warpage on a piece of granite I have.

There shouldn't be any other gasket on the top of the cylinder other than the 2 O-rings. (At least not on a yz250)

I know with my bike, the outer O-ring wanted to slip in and break while tightening the head down. Did it once and ended up spewing coolant all over the place. Your inner o-ring could have done that, but is just leaking into the cylinder instead of down the side of the engine.

If it's not the o-rings, then it's either a crack or the base gasket.

Well if literal you want, the O-rings are the head gasket.

Well if literal you want, the O-rings are the head gasket.

Read the last sentence in the OP ;) I was answering a question, but yes, the o-rings are the head gasket just as you say.