Sign in to follow this  

02 RM125 Clutch Problem

I have a 2002 Suzuki RM125. When the bike is in gear and the clutch lever is pulled in, the clutch still drags and grabs. It makes it impossible to start the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in. I bought the bike used and it exhibited this condition since the beginning.

I have:

1) Replaced the clutch lever (Moose Shorty Lever)

2) Replaced the clutch cable with a pro motion bike specific cable.

3) Replaced the clutch plates (friction and steel) and springs. EBG Clutch Kit.

To my understanding, there should be slight play in the lever (3/4" max), then it should disengage the clutch for shifting with about 1/4" movement.

Thanks for your time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Time to buy a manual.

In the meantime, most bikes when their cold do not start well in gear and only so so when their warm.  For the most part it sounds like you have too much free play at the lever.

My '02 125 does the exact same thing. Good to know I'm not the only one. When I told my dealer mechanic this he said thats not right. He said he couldn't tell me what it was until he was able to crack open the motor. I just decided to live with it and try to find the problem when it gets sent in for a rebuild at either EG or ProCircuit in the next couple months. Hopefully someone will chime in with a simple answer because I did all the same stuff you did. New clutch plates, lever, and cable properly adjusted. Still grabs like the clutch is half engaged.

screamer294

I will be taking my bike into a repair shop here in Michigan and I will let you know what they did and what it cost. It probably wont happen until next weekend.

My nephew rides this bike and we did an endure last weekend and he couldn't keep it from stalling on the hills. It was a long race.

My bike had the same problem. I had brand new clutch plates, basket and hub were fine. Turns out i switched to lighter gear oil and all of that went away. Starts in gear just fine

Lighter oil if your basket is not notched, that or get the oil warm. Gotta imagine after it sits all week with 70+ hours of the springs pressing the oil out of the plates, it's going to drag a little

Edit. Spelling

Edited by zotis777

My RM100 does the exact same thing, as long as it goes in neutral when warm it's completely normal. There's just too much compression in the engine to engage the clutch when cold. Just make sure the clutch engages when switching gears and you'll be fine!