Sign in to follow this  

yz 125 suspension

I have a 2013 yz 125 with 63 hours on it i take care of it well but i am still running stock suspension. everyone is telling me i need it done. i weigh 120lbs and i am 5'7, i opend up the front 2 clicks in on the rebound and the stiffness. i am gonna get it done soon but does anyone have any recommendations of who i should get it done by, cheapest quickest. ( i live in ny ) and also what should i get done on them.  

First off you're going to need the correct springs for your weight.  Likely .40 for the front and 4.4 for the rear (my son weighs 125# and has the same bike).  Have the oil changed in the forks and shock (or watch some YouTube videos on how to do it yourself) and go from there.

The stock valving isn't bad, but at your weight you'll never get it working even close with the stock springs.

• Like 1

First off you're going to need the correct springs for your weight. Likely .40 for the front and 4.4 for the rear (my son weighs 125# and has the same bike). Have the oil changed in the forks and shock (or watch some YouTube videos on how to do it yourself) and go from there.

The stock valving isn't bad, but at your weight you'll never get it working even close with the stock springs.

Thanks

Stock suspension is designed for a 170 lb FAST rider.  You need to have your suspension re-sprung for you body weight and then valved for your ability level.   We use ASR-4 Suspension Works in WV.  I know you are in NY, so go to your local track and see who does suspension work in your area. 

I'm assuming you are young and probably growing fast.  I would just go with springs for now (use racetech spring finder) and that willl be a big improvement.   You may find yourself in the stock design range sooner than you think!  At that point you my really like the stock valving, and all you will need is just a complete service.  My son was even lighter than you when he moved to the YZ.  We had Factory Connection do a revalve and respring, but in retrospect I think a respring would have been fine initially, and swapping springs is easy to do yourself.