Sign in to follow this  

Durhamtown, GA

I've been going to Durhamtown, GA for over 10 years. We use to drive up from Florida at least 5 times a year. I took about a two year break due to moving to Texas. This past week I drove the 13+ hours to Durhamtown. I coordinated a group of 8 riders from TX and FL to meet there.

I wish I could say it's the same awesome Durhamtown it was 2 or 3 years ago. IT"S NOT!!!!!

Their tracks are good, the Bomber track is nice with big jumps, good flow and nicely groomed. Track 5 was a disaster and I liked the few little changes they have made to track 6.

The staff is the worst it's ever been. The trail map looks like a fourth grader drew it out on an edge ‘sketch! I called the day before to ask if they had race fuel in stock, I accidentally called the lodge instead of the pro shop. She couldn't transfer me and nobody in the pro shop answered. I called back a third time and asked the girl if they had race gas. Her answer, "I don't know what that is sir."  REALLY???????

If you're a single track woods rider, go someplace else. Don't bother with driving to D ‘town regardless of how far or close you are to D ‘town. The front portion of the riding area has been destroyed thanks to logging. Hey Mike, hope the money you made from logging was worth ruining some great trails.

The trails on the back side; are now SxS wide trails and simply suck. Most of the other trails were closed. We rode around the little rope at the start of these trails and found no reason for the closures.  They were wet in some areas, but that's what makes the trail fun. We found a staff memeber stuck in the mud on a closed trail, he was obviously out playing versus working.

The trail map did not include the single track trails down past the creek bridge. Nobody in the lodge was able to review the trail map with me, they have no ideas where any of the trails are. I'd be surprised if they know what a trail is. An older lady, very nice btw, was finally able to point me in the right direction.

All in all, it seems like D ‘town is more focused on concerts, utlility 4whlrs, UTV's and mud runs.

There is so much opportunity for improvement at D ‘town for the trail riders. With single track being so simple to create and very little effort needed in trail maintenance; D ‘town is truly clueless in this aspect.

Off road/single track  two wheelers,,,,,, time to find another place. I can't wait for the new place in North Florida to open.

• Like 1

Mike sent out an email about a month ago asking everyone to be patient. He said they are trying to get the trail system back to where it should be. We had record rainfall all last year and their red clay became soup. I would like to see more flowing single track myself. Its either SxS or 5mph bar scrubbers. No in between.

TRAIL & TRACK CONDITIONS

We have experienced a 100 year record amount of rainfall this winter and spring.  We also have experienced a large turnout of riders during these conditions which have caused a lot of problems in the trails.

We are repairing the most severe areas first and progressing onto the trails as fast as we can now that we have gotten some drier weather. There is only so much we can do in this situation and we appreciate everyone who has continued to ride and support us.

We promise to get the park back to the level everyone expects from Durhamtown, but it will take several months to get to all of the locations.

There are over 100 miles of trails and 15 different tracks to work on so we thank you for your patience and understanding.

Thanks,

Mike

A sometimes fun place to drink and camp and thats it. I don't care how many tracks or miles they have. Not one single track is worth riding. Last time I went (last fall) I rode one lap around each track and parked my MX bike. If Mike would get the hell out of there and let someone manage it, maybe. The bomber was good when it was first built, but you have to prep it. He does not know who to listen to and micro manages everything. Workers are all poorly trained and obviously do not have meetings with clear communication. If they let me live there for free and ride for free, I would turn it down. It's just that bad to me. 

• Like 1

Was there a couple weeks ago.  It looks like DP is completely out of the single trail business, with the possible exception of the minimum required to host some race events.

Man the Durhamtown hating makes me sick. I live in Orlando, make the trip 2-3 times per year and have a blast every time! I challenge anybody out there to even come close to operating a compound of that size. Nothing is perfect perfect, just ride your dirt bike and have fun…… Jesus!

Thanks, MIKE

It appears that DP has fully recognized the displeasure of the riders and is making amazing headway at refurbing their tracks and trails.  Here is an email they sent me:

"We are diligently working on Tracks and Trails since the rainy, winter season that caused so much rutting and damage to the trails. We are making diaily progress on the trails with one team designated to trails and another team on the Tracks. Currently, we are working on The Bomber Track and The Beginner Track, they will be in perfect condition to retain moisture in the upcoming hot weather. We have upgraded our water truck access to the Bomber for easier watering and we've added tons of sawdust to retain moisture in the soil. MX 1 will get a major rebuild this summer with lots of pipes and new drainage installed. This project should take about 2 weeks to complete. We will work MX 2 after the rains next week.

Trails: E-2 and E-3 will be bike and ATV only to reduce the destruction, it is just too tight for the side by sides. We're waiting on dry weather for the lower trails to dry the standing water and allow us to regroom them but hopefully they will be open Memorial Day Weekend! We may open for bike only at first and for others as it dries out completely.

With two teams dedicated to both Tracks and Trails, we know that you will be pleased with our efforts for all of your riding needs!

We are complete on F-trail, D-trail, and the sidewinder is now SMOOTH! I personally worked on re-cutting the new single track trail and a shortcut to reach it from the end of D trail avoiding E trail. We hauled 17 loads of sawdust yesterday and installed into the Bomber Track. It will get another 5 loads today!  The new single track on the left side of Bridgeout Road was totally reworked along with a new shortcut from D-trail to the NEW Fast Track and Single trail entry points.

Rode last saturday 5/17. Moisture was perfect. Muddy in spots but no dust. We rode the new single track on our 450 4 strokes. It is still very green. A few weeks of riding and it will start getting some lines worked in and be just right. It's up near the hill climb in the sandy soil. The bottom half is slick black topsoil. Lots of off cambers and switchbacks. A few corners could use better marking but like i said it's green. Once its ridden some it wont be hard to follow. We had a good time. My friend fried the clutch on his yz450f at boulder ridge so we didn't make a second pass at it.

I wish I had a penny for every ass hole who complained about a place to ride. I wish they would all own a place just once to see how hard it is to keep up. The weather and time is a big factor. :)

• Like 1

How do you know the OP is an &%$#@!?

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk mobile app

We go there at least ten times a year. The popularity of side by sides has wreaked havoc on the faster open trails. During the wet season the big machines spread the mudholes to cover the whole trail. No puddles to wheelie over. We started riding tracks mostly and they started getting in bad shape. Fortunately they have been working hard and you can tell. The tracks were in great shape last month when we went. Big buck was in the best shape I've ever seen it. I could easily and safely jump all of this big jumps. Great fun. We will continue to support them. We even ran the zombie 5k. I'm thankful that we have a place like this.