Sign in to follow this  

Ryan Villopoto and Jeremy McGrath

Gary & Ryan home page.jpgCongratulations to Ryan Villopoto for adding a 4th straight SX Title to his multi title list. I will admit that I'm a little bias because he's one of the top riders I've coached but no one can argue that this guy has all the ingredients needed to win championships. He has the Talent, Confidence, Work Ethic, he's strong under pressure, seldom makes mistakes, he can continue the grind week after week without getting burned out and above all has the desire to win.

Ryan has all the ingredients that McGrath had who, as you know by now, is the only other rider to win 4 straight SX Titles. Did I mention Jeremy is also one of the top riders I've coached. Not bad for an old dirt bike teacher, hey? 

GS and MC 1996 2.jpg

• Like 4

+1 to what slowgs said, Gary. It's a pretty good testament that you not only know the ins-n-outs of technique and motocross in general, but must convey those ideas in a very structured and thought-out manner to make those ideas stick with a rider for so long.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments. Back in my racing days (1971 - 1984) there was't much, if any, coaching available for pro riders. We all just did what we thought we should and sometimes though all the confusion we realized we really didn't know what we were suppose to be doing. By the time my frontal lob had developed, which in my case was around 40, I began to see all my mistakes. I realized how much better I could have done if.... That's a big part of what motivates me to be the dirt bike teacher I am today. 

Nice Gary! It must be very rewarding to have helped get these guys started. :)

RV is one hell of a rider, he's also very smart... which is why he won't ever stop winning.

• Like 1

It was an extremely special year up here at Seattle SX watching RV1's race and going on to NY to take the title. Finding out that Seattle won't be doing supercross again for a few years and Villopoto most likely not riding a single national, it will be the last time for sure that we see him race. Man was it great while it lasted.

I didn't know you had trained Ryan as well, and I've watched a ton of your videos since I was about 13 back in 2006. Hell yeah you did great. RV is definitely one of the most unique champions I've ever seen and in my opinion could be the best supercross "racer" of all time in scale to McGrath, operating in the most difficult era of the sport. I know when I go to the local track and watch people battle, even the kids nowadays it seems like they ALL want it. I don't know how it compares to how it did in the 70s-80s when it came to the risk factor off of jumps / rough terrain but with the bikes back then, it was all to be commended greatly. You both have my high respects.

Edited by Zachdh38

... no one can argue that this guy has all the ingredients needed to win championships. He has the Talent, Confidence, Work Ethic, he's strong under pressure, seldom makes mistakes, he can continue the grind week after week without getting burned out and above all has the desire to win.

I'm not doubting his abilities or desire.  I am more than envious that he gets to ride a dirt bike for a living and he is at the top of the sport.  That being said, I recall an interview he had after winning a race later in the season (sorry I don't remember which one).  He had said something along the lines of this is his "job" and it's no different than what everyone else has to do.  It just seems like the fun of riding has been lost.  He could have been worn out after a long season.  I know he has heart and dedication, and I know I could never compete with him.  I just hope he still has fun riding.

I'm not doubting his abilities or desire.  I am more than envious that he gets to ride a dirt bike for a living and he is at the top of the sport.  That being said, I recall an interview he had after winning a race later in the season (sorry I don't remember which one).  He had said something along the lines of this is his "job" and it's no different than what everyone else has to do.  It just seems like the fun of riding has been lost.  He could have been worn out after a long season.  I know he has heart and dedication, and I know I could never compete with him.  I just hope he still has fun riding.

I hear what you're saying. I think Ryan could benefit by learning how to train more effectively so he could cut back the volume a little...enabling him to enjoy his career more. You don't have to be a triathlete to win races. You just have to be in good enough shape to last the race without getting too tired. 

I hear what you're saying. I think Ryan could benefit by learning how to train more effectively so he could cut back the volume a little...enabling him to enjoy his career more. You don't have to be a triathlete to win races. You just have to be in good enough shape to last the race without getting too tired. 

Gary,

I have heard anecdotally from a friend of a friend of a guy that words in the indusrty and is around the races all the time that the two Ryans, Dungey and Villopoto, those two in particular, are fit to the extreme, more so than their peers. Assuming that is true, please correct me if it is not, isn't it probable that they do so to create as much margin as they possibly can between themselves and injury or mistake due to even the slightest fatigue, either physical or mental?  I mean, I get youre point, be as fit as you have to be but, don't 'over due it' so, that begs the question, by being 'over fit' are they buying some insurance? Neither ever seems to look even a little winded and they sure don't make many mistakes.

Or, is everyone at that level more than fit enough for physical and mental demands of SX?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Gary,

I have heard anecdotally from a friend of a friend of a guy that words in the indusrty and is around the races all the time that the two Ryans, Dungey and Villopoto, those two in particular, are fit to the extreme, more so than their peers. Assuming that is true, please correct me if it is not, isn't it probable that they do so to create as much margin as they possibly can between themselves and injury or mistake due to even the slightest fatigue, either physical or mental?  I mean, I get youre point, be as fit as you have to be but, don't 'over due it' so, that begs the question, by being 'over fit' are they buying some insurance? Neither ever seems to look even a little winded and they sure don't make many mistakes.

Or, is everyone at that level more than fit enough for physical and mental demands of SX?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Larry, that's a good question. Actually SX takes less physical conditioning demands than MX but either way there's a balance regarding the optimal level of conditioning. Pro riders have to maintain a high level of conditioning for a long time, over the entire season. The compromise of training the right amounts without over-training are always a balancing act. For example, the Ryans are running a very fine line in order to maintain that level of conditioning and still not get sick, loose enthusiasm or get burned out all together. Factor in the traveling, PR requirements, testing, practice on the bike and all that sort of stuff...again, there is a very fine line. It's a fine line for all pros but those two take it to the extreme...I think overly extreme. 

It's easy for riders like the Ryans to start believing they have to train that much to win...if they don't they feel guilty and loose a little confidence in themselves. In reality they could train less and still be winning just as much if not more. 

Don't get me wrong, they have to be in great shape but they don't have to be OCD about it. I think Roczen would have done better this year in SX if he trained less. 

• Like 2