Sign in to follow this  

2009 450 KTM XC-F - Found a screw head in the oil

So I am sorting out and undoing any previous mechanical/service mistakes from the previous owner of my 2009 KTM 450 XC-F. 

When I drained the engine of oil and pull out the drain plug with the magnet there was also a screw head stuck to it. First it look like it was all one part, the cone part of the screw head pointing inwards. Then I quickly realize that it is in fact a screw head. Its a T20 torx M4 or M5 I believe. It looks like it has been either sheared off or actually cut off as it has some heat marks(blueing) where it is separated. 

Ok, so what is going on here? Where inside the engine is there such a small screw? Did someone put it there as some magical trick to stop the drain from leaking? (feels unlikely). The oil doesn't have any hint of any metal in it, the oil looks very nice. But I also believe the oil was newish when I picked the bike up. It runs strong and no mechanical problems, so far. 

Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 10.25.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 10.25.30 PM.png

I have been looking around on some fiches and KTM part 0019050103 INT. TORX FLAT HEAD M 5X10 8.8 is used in multiple parts. I am thinking that is the one. Look familiar to anyone? Has anyone seen anything similar? 

Check the stator under the ignition cover, there is a bracket that holds the wires coming off the stator. the bracket on mine has what appears to be that exact screw head and is in a place where it could rub (the flywheel) and could make it to the drain plug without necessarily destroying the motor.

o313: 

Check the stator under the ignition cover, there is a bracket that holds the wires coming off the stator. the bracket on mine has what appears to be that exact screw head and is in a place where it could rub (the flywheel) and could make it to the drain plug without necessarily destroying the motor.

This is why I drained the engine, as I was replacing the ignition cover gasket and applying some more rtv to cure a small leak. So I know the bolts for the stator and start wire bracket is in place, and they are not torx but inset hex, and I confirmed that one the fiches. 

I have found:

12 in the engine case, holding multiple bushing retaining plates in place 

2 in the clutch cover holding water pump shaft bushing retaining plates in place 

2 holding the main shaft bushing retaining plates in place
4 holding the countershaft bushing retaining plates in place

So a good total of 20 screws. 

What order would you guys start looking? I am thinking if I can some how disassemble in a particular order to avoid unnecessary work, maybe peaking inside using mirror similar.