Sign in to follow this  

Slant FCR jetting

Yep, another jetting thread.

After a few years of not riding I'm gettig my 434 back on the road. It's a 2003 E model with Muzzy pipe. I did the coast enricher removal which used slightly different jets then is now recommended but it's always run VERY well in the past. The problem I'm having right now is that it is slightly hanging idle and doesn't run clean at low throttle openings. Fuel consumption isn't particularly great either and I'm getting some fairly decent pops on decell, especially after cruising at medium speed and low throttle openings.

Jetting is as follows:

158MJ

200MAJ

EMN 2nd clip (was 3rd, this seemed to help)

38 PJ

70 PAJ

2.5 turns out.

If I go in a few turns on the FS it runs a bit better but then it just does not start well at all.

So I think I'm good on the idle mixture but rich on the needle. The Muzzy is fairly free flowing but definitely nothing like the Yoshi or MRD, on the other hand it's not as loud either. Is there a needle which will lean-out the cruise but maintain the 1/2-full throttle mixture?

Thanks,

Grant

A 60 PAJ is supposed to be used with a 38 PJ from what I've read. I have the adjustable PAJ in my slant, but once I got it adjusted the decel popping went away.

The thing I'm wondering about though is you say this did run fine, now it runs not so good? That leads me to believe there is something else going on rather than just jetting (perhaps clogged jets or something).

What elevation are you at usually?

I'm at 38 PJ in my slant, but my MJ is 150, and that is still a bit on the rich side for safety (I am stock bore though).

Previously I'd only run the 434 in the dirt, this is the first time I've fun this jetting/BBK combination on the street so really the first time that I've done any cruising at one throttle position.

I've got the CE nipples plugged which is why the PAJ is a 70 (although I do need to confirm that, it was what I remembered anyways).

0-1000' elevation and PNW tempertures. Bike runs better in the mornings which leads me towards being rich

I think I might see if the local shop has an EMP or EMR needle to try. I'd sure love to be getting mid-40s or better for milage with fuel the way it is.

Thanks,

Grant