Sign in to follow this  

Upgrade the electrical system?

I was wondering what I could do to keep my headlight and tail light from pulsing while sitting at idle.  They also idle whenever I use a blinker.  Is there an upgrade I can do?  Better stator?

They blink or waver at idle because the lights are requiring more draw than your stator is putting out.  You really have three options.  The first is to see if you can downsize the wattage of the bulbs you are using.  If you don't ride in the dark, and aren't as worried about being seen, you may be able to go down on the headlight and tailight bulb wattage.  The second option is obviously a stator with higher output.  You can buy one, send your stock one off to be rewound, or rewind it yourself.  The third option is to convert the system over to DC.  The DC conversion requires a small battery or capacitor in the system that can help make up for the minimal stator output at lower rpm. 

The stator option is easier from a plug and play standpoint.  The DC conversion takes some wiring to do it right, but can be a little less expensive depending on where you get the parts (rec/reg and small battery) compared to purchasing a new stator.

These are all based on a XR600/650R as I am assuming that you have one of these.  If you have an XR650L then you have an electrical problem that needs to be fixed.

If you have an XR650L then you have an electrical problem that needs to be fixed.

I have the XRL.......