Sign in to follow this  

Shims

I just shimed my crf250x 2004 for the last time possible, I got down to the smallest shim size possible which is 1.20mm. I was wondering if I could file the shim down maybe .05mm more to get one more shim job out of it.

How many times have you shimmed it?  Or, which shim did it start with?  (how bad are those poor valves?)

Those shims are hard, it wont be easy to sand it evenly either.  I wouldn't do it unless you have no other choice like in a time crunch for one last ride.  You should get a measurement without a shim just to see if it would even help.

What you are getting is close to spending some considerable coin on doing a proper valve job. Time to grab a hammer and go after your piggy-bank.  Since the head is off, you might as well go ahead and throw a new piston and ring in it. Now would also be a good time to step up to stainless valves. Cha-Ching! I'm guessing you will need at least $450 for all of it, maybe a little more.

What you are getting is close to spending some considerable coin on doing a proper valve job. Time to grab a hammer and go after your piggy-bank. Since the head is off, you might as well go ahead and throw a new piston and ring in it. Now would also be a good time to step up to stainless valves. Cha-Ching! I'm guessing you will need at least $450 for all of it, maybe a little more.

ouch. $450. He already has stainless steel valves in there.

If he already has stainless valves in there, and the valves have now recessed enough that the smallest shim will not work, then the valve seats have most likely receded and you are looking at new guides, & all new seats... At that point you *may* be able to get the existing used stainless valves re-cut to work with the new seats, but buying new everything seems like the prudent thing to do. Might be time to compare the cost of a new, ready to bolt on head, and then compare that to the cost of re-working your old head.

Forgot to mention-either way you are most likely north of the $450 figure I mentioned earlier.

Yeh I have already done a valve job on it once. I read somewhere that I could put a 250r head in my bike and it might last longer