Sign in to follow this  

Trials training tutorials - beginner to advanced

I started a similar post months back but couldn't edit the first post to get the links to all the videos, so here's the more complete list although there are more coming. These techniques are also available as text files from the club site here

GENERAL TRIALS INFORMATION

BASIC TRIALS TECHNIQUES

INTERMEDIATE TRIALS TECHNIQUES

ADVANCED TRIALS TECHNIQUES

EXAMPLES OF SECTIONS IN VARIOUS GRADES

CROSS TRAINING: TRIALS TECHNIQUES APPLIED TO DIRT RIDING

I had a lot of guys asking about cross training so started a page here about the trials techniques that can be adapted to enduro bikes. Almost all of the top extreme enduro riders are ex-trials champs so they must be on to something!: Graham Jarvis, Jonny Walker, Chris Birch, David Knight< Andreas Lettenbichler and Taddy Blazusiak.

• Like 3

Re: cross training-trials to EnduroCross.

Most all the top riders train/practice for EnduroCross on trials motos. Cody, Taylor, Taddy Destry etc

a few of the guys i dirt ride with started on trials bikes first. they are deceptively fast... they virtually never spin the wheel or slide or look as if they are working hard but they just seem to glide through tough stuff on perfect lines and quickly pull away.

latest video, can't add to the list above as old posts can't be edited...

• Like 2

Edited by OZ DRZ
  • Like 1

latest vid. i can film it but no way can i do this technique yet. 

• Like 1

if anyone has any tips to add to this vid let me know and i'll put them in at the end...

While this is a great series, I still find it really hard to see how they are doing some of the moves. A bit of naration on everything that is happening when they do something would be So helpful... You know, put your weight back, rev, pop clutch while at the same time moving your weight to,,, those kinds of things that you can ask a live person, but is not transfered via the video alone. Those of us that ride alone and have no one near by to instruct us need that extra input.

Thanks

Richard

depends which bits you mean... that last vid was an intermediate level one so it assumes you've mastered all the basic level stuff. so for example it won't go into detail about how to wheelie on to a rock slab in detail as it was already covered in the basic series.

it's really just a bridging video to encourage some more challenging stuff when balancing so that you are ready for the advanced techniques. i'm still only nine months into trials so not sure how reliable my advice would be,

i've put put in what the a and b level riders tell me but if there's something not covered in the basic level vids AND this one i can ask them for details....

While this is a great series, I still find it really hard to see how they are doing some of the moves. A bit of naration on everything that is happening when they do something would be So helpful... You know, put your weight back, rev, pop clutch while at the same time moving your weight to,,, those kinds of things that you can ask a live person, but is not transfered via the video alone. Those of us that ride alone and have no one near by to instruct us need that extra input.

Thanks

Richard

I feel your pain.  

I am self learning this art too and its a tough nut to crack. This video series is inspirational and informative but is not designed as a begginers tutorial.

For that you may consider Ryan Youngs series, or Beta has a good dvd called Trials for Everyone.

When it cools down a bit around here I may search out a club, which are hours away, or plop down the cash for a private training session. Till then I am just sticking with the basics, Balance, Clutch and throttle control, Wheelies while covering the rear brake, ect.

depends which bits you mean... that last vid was an intermediate level one so it assumes you've mastered all the basic level stuff. so for example it won't go into detail about how to wheelie on to a rock slab in detail as it was already covered in the basic series.

it's really just a bridging video to encourage some more challenging stuff when balancing so that you are ready for the advanced techniques. i'm still only nine months into trials so not sure how reliable my advice would be,

i've put put in what the a and b level riders tell me but if there's something not covered in the basic level vids AND this one i can ask them for details....

I know there are more details to some of the things they show, even in the basic levels. One of the ones I watched says you need to unweight the bike, but does not tell a person how that is accomplished. I happen to know how to do this, but it is something someone else might not know. The detail on the one covering how to do the flip turn was great, but I didn't find that kind of info in all of the videos. I'll go back and watch them again, with asking detailed questions in mind. A lot of what they are teaching I have leaned simply from riding dual sport for many years (started trials in '09' after a 20 year lapse in riding) but have had no person to really help me with foot position, etc. that are unique to some of the things done with a trials motorcycle. Attended one event in 2010 where 2Ply was a great help, but that was a way too short session and there are too few riders in my current location to get any help.

These videos are great motivation and I try to Watch everything I can on youtube, but getting out and riding with experienced riders has helped me tremendously. I've been riding with one of our clubs champ, and an expert and those guys have been awesome and unselfish. Having a experienced rider teach you a technique and then performing it without flaw 3 times in a row is a great way to learn. I like Watching all the natc videos as well. :-)

These videos are great motivation and I try to Watch everything I can on youtube, but getting out and riding with experienced riders has helped me tremendously. I've been riding with one of our clubs champ, and an expert and those guys have been awesome and unselfish. Having a experienced rider teach you a technique and then performing it without flaw 3 times in a row is a great way to learn. I like Watching all the natc videos as well. :-)

good point v8rman. on our club page here where i list all the videos and written tutorials it says "These aren't a substitute for an experienced rider showing you in person how to ride trials". 

i'm not going to add more detail to the vids as i'm trying to keep them to under 4 mins long and i'm talking that whole time already. and as already mentioned you can actually pay money and get trials training dvds if you want. i'm happy to refund everyone's money ten times over if they aren't happy with the vids i've done to date.  :goofy:

• Like 1

Love the videos, you've inspired me to get a trials bike next :) . What would be really helpful would be a video on buying a second hand trials bike, what to look out for and how a 2 or 4 stroke differ, differences with engine sizes etc.

Also, what exercises can you do with the engine off? I'd like to practice in the back garden when I get the bike, but I'd imagine I wouldn't be popular with the neighbors! Can you do balancing exercises and wheel hops with the engine off?

These videos are great, thank you so much for making them 

• Like 1

hey black-swan, it's more addictive than heroin but doesn't leave track marks on your arm unless someone uses you for traction. i've written a fair bit about buying a first bike on our club's website here. i'll probably turn it into a video at some point but focused more on the actual riding techniques at the moment.

re: riding in the backyard, i've often wondered whether i should check with the neighbors if they minded me practicing while one of them was mowing on the weekend? i figured that the droning of a two stroke mower would mostly mask the trials bike puttering around....

• Like 1

hey black-swan, it's more addictive than heroin but doesn't leave track marks on your arm unless someone uses you for traction. i've written a fair bit about buying a first bike on our club's website here. i'll probably turn it into a video at some point but focused more on the actual riding techniques at the moment.

re: riding in the backyard, i've often wondered whether i should check with the neighbors if they minded me practicing while one of them was mowing on the weekend? i figured that the droning of a two stroke mower would mostly mask the trials bike puttering around....

re: neighbors, Just fire up your mower while riding!

• Like 1