Sign in to follow this  

2011 kx250f 40hrs starting issues.

Hi I had bought this bike brand new last year have been what i would consider very over the top on maintenence. cleaned air filter virtually every ride, new oil filter and synthetic oil every 5 hrs, valves checked at 18hrs and again now and all are in spec with only my left exhaust being even close to tight at .18 and spec is .22-.17. I had put the thing away all winter and before i got it out this spring put brand new oil, air filter, spark plug and the thing seemed to start fine now have only ridden 2 hrs since and cannot for the life of my kick it. can bump start it tho and i find once warm it can be kicked. I'm fairly mechanically inclined and want to avoid going to a dealership at all cost any and all help is greatly appreciated.

what kind of gas are you running? have you adjusted your idle screw at all? i was having issues getting mine to want to start cold and idle screw was off about 15 clicks. i live in ny(1200ft) and keep it around 32/34.

ill have to check the idle screw... thats by the high idle i take it? but where exactly? I'm up in Canada usually 3000ft or higher. yesterday i had bump started it it ran fine once was running shut it off went to kick it 15 minute later and it was abnormally hard to kick at first almost felt jammed but was able to kick past it. i'm not entirely sure now if its abnormally stiff kicking from top dead center or if im just paranoid. bump started again today. let it idle then shut off to check oil level. topped it up as i had changed it yesterday and always double check my levels the day after. i then went to kick it it kicked over after say 5 kicks i let it run a little bit more checking the sight glass to see if oil was flowing it was i shut it off and tried to re kick it about 10-15 times and all i got was a back fire and i stopped. the bike seems to run fine when its running and started fine after being stored for 6 months. it's just been it's last 2.5 hrs of run time that it;s turned into my worst nightmare.. i almost would have no hesitation to ride it when its on besides the stories of the $2500 + repair bill. 

sorry premium 94 octane usually

Have you tried turning the throttle open fully when trying to kick after its been running ?

Are you using the fast idle/choke to start the bike when cold ?

i do tho i never get anything when the choke/fast idle is pulled. i get a little bit of life when its not tho it will never stay running by kicking it once you bump it.. it idles fine. im sure i have but i will try again if i ever get the bike warmed up again