Sign in to follow this  

Suspension Settings ?

Hey All,

I know a bit about bikes, however, suspension is not one of them. I am completely an idiot when it come to suspension. :banghead:  

Question: What do some of you professionals recommend for a Hare Scramble setting on an 08 yz250f for a 205#, 6' aggressive rider? I usually run my KTM and go off factory settings, but this bike is alot different. I could use some help here. I was told to basically back rebound ALL THE WAY off? Is this a good idea? 

I am in the process of saving up for a full suspension build and tune by a local shop. Its going to cost over 700$. For the time being, what o you all recommend? Race is Sunday and I spent all winter building this bike. Suspension is my last big ticket.

THanks

The 101 would say set sag, start with clickers as per manual, go from there. Plus there is useful info here:

www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1025346-talking-suspension-ktm-yamaha-etc/

Thanks,

I understand the simple basics, I was just wondering if anyone with similar specs had found a sweet spot. Sag is generally more relaxed (around 4 1/4") for H/S enduro. THanks though

You need stiffer springs, sag numbers will tell you what you need,

I am about your weight and run a 5.6kg rear and the stock fronts,

You dont really want to run reb all out, try around 15 or 16 clicks out, comp u can run completely open although its not recommended, a revalve would be best

man it all depends on the terrain, type of riding and riding itself.

there is NO one setting that works for two people, if there is that's pure coincidence.

I'm with meWR250F. Tons of videos online to help but basic setup starts with setting static sag and making sure you have the right spring for your weight. (1)

Clickers is purely up to the individual. If you set your rebound all the way out you're just going to pogo stick of bouncy/rocky/woopy sections.

(2) Compression is usually easier to set, aim to bottom out in the harshest section or g-out then stiffen it up a click or two. The idea is that you want to use as much as your travel as possible. Bottoming out now and then isn't exactly detrimental.

(3) Rebound is less straight forward. Ride adjust, ride adjust.

These are your 3 basic steps. Everything past this point is "fine tuning". Did you change your fork oil or seals recently? If not do it, sucks to have to do your settings when you're riding on old/low oil and then have to redo your settings again. Just tips. Sounds like you need springs anyways, youre a bit heavy for the OE springs which are pretty darn "soft" to begin with.

man it all depends on the terrain, type of riding and riding itself.

there is NO one setting that works for two people, if there is that's pure coincidence.

I'm with meWR250F. Tons of videos online to help but basic setup starts with setting static sag and making sure you have the right spring for your weight. (1)

Clickers is purely up to the individual. If you set your rebound all the way out you're just going to pogo stick of bouncy/rocky/woopy sections.

(2) Compression is usually easier to set, aim to bottom out in the harshest section or g-out then stiffen it up a click or two. The idea is that you want to use as much as your travel as possible. Bottoming out now and then isn't exactly detrimental.

(3) Rebound is less straight forward. Ride adjust, ride adjust.

These are your 3 basic steps. Everything past this point is "fine tuning". Did you change your fork oil or seals recently? If not do it, sucks to have to do your settings when you're riding on old/low oil and then have to redo your settings again. Just tips. Sounds like you need springs anyways, youre a bit heavy for the OE springs which are pretty darn "soft" to begin with.

Thanks all for the help. Ill try that setting. Thanks for the videos, but I understand the what compression, dampening and sag is. As the post says, Im planning a re-valve and re-spring but dont have the 800$ to shell out at the moment and have a H/S Sunday and was trying to just get an idea of what I need for this race temporarily. New to YZF. Like I said, a few simple adjustment on my KTMs made them trail worther, curious if someone found a setting they liked

dampening is to make something wet :naughty:

damping is what a damper does  :p

good luck sunday  :ride: