Sign in to follow this  

Need experienced advice

Looking at buying another bike for this year and need some help deciding what is best to go with. I have been riding for 20 years now so I have the experience, but I'm looking into a different style than mx. I now ride mountain terrain that consist of single track tight trails and large open trails that you can hit fast. I also occasionally ride home tracks with the usual jumps whoops etc.

I'm looking at the dr650,drz400 (which version?), rmx450z and their equivalents. I like the idea of on/off road, but looking for something that'll be better off than on. Want something that'll be enjoyable riding the tight trails and not burn up clutches because it's pushing, but something that have the power and suspension to hit everything else I throw at it too. My rmz450 had the power I liked but couldn't get the gears to something I was happy with. What would work best in my situation? On/off road dual sport isn't the biggest factor, but it's there. Whatever I get I'd like to be able to do a quick wheel change and take on road and not be screaming at redline going 70. But off road is main concern. Any advice would be nice.

The rmx450z or equivalent seems the best in my opinion,what do you think? but... They are impossible to find in my area for some reason. The crf450x and klx450 are the same way. So I'm looking for next best I guess

I know I can do a quick sprocket change to suit on/off road needs but I'm looking for best out of the box at the moment

Thanks for any help

Ps I worded that wrong. I'm not looking to go 100 mph. I'm looking for the best middle man of Enduro, mx, and on road I guess

DR650, DRZ400 and RMZ450 are in 3 different worlds  :)

DR650 is more road oriented, it is heavy for singletracks, but it is good on roads and easy offroad combined in 1 trip.

DRZ400S - is more offroad oriented Dual sport, you will not want to go farther than 100 miles on road, it can go 70mph ok, just keep an eye out for oil, you can pass some singletracks with your attributes, can jump a little, but was not ment to do that, you can pass large open trails up to 60mph if it's not deep sand which it doesn't like much and it probably won't suddenly brake or demand a constant money investments in repairs or rebuilds, but it doesn't do any of that perfectly, just ok  :) You will want more power from it than stock can give, it meens buying FCR39 carb from E model, full exhaust, making a wider hole in the upper part of the airbox, anything other than that is a waste of money on power mods, it will never become RMZ450 offroad nor DR650 on road. E model has FCR39 (much better throttle response and more power overall), better exhaust, higher compression piston (no regular gas anymore), more aggressive camshaft (less botom end power and increased engine wear), higher revving cdi (increased engine wear) stock, suspension after 2002 year was the same on both S and E, subframe on E was shorter and geared lower stock, S has a fan so you won't overheat it unless you rev it on neutral. Overall a do it all reliable dual sport after riding which you can understand better in which direction of riding you want to go more dirt or pavement.

RMX450 didn't have a chance to ride it. WR450F offroad is much better than drz, it is lighter, has better suspension, can be tuned to give more power and gives much more stock, can do it on pavement if you can make it street legal, can do 70 mph with bigger front sprocket, engine is pretty reliable for what it can do but it is not recommended to push it past 10000-15000miles on piston and valves :( so it's like 3 times more frequent rebuilds than drz, stock seat is not good for pavement but ok up to 30 miles and for 200+ miles they should give you the Iron Butt award, can jump, but stock it's softer than any mx bike, singletracks good, better than drz, wide open, sands included - pretty good too, suspension saves in situations that make you fly over the bars on drz, overall it's a dirt bike ment for offroad.

Thanks a lot that's the kind of response I was hoping for. Like said looking for more off-road than on. I appreciate the feedback. I think I'm gonna cancel out the dr650. Throwing around 350 lbs on a single track with such little hp sounds like not a lot of fun. Still debating if drz400 is best for me or not. Well see I guess. Thanks again for the replies.

And for what it's worth. The on road riding will be Canyon carving when I need to get away and riding to work and back 15 miles each way on Highway at 60. Sounds like dry can handle that easily. And be much better off road that the drz400

Sounds like drz400 can handle that perfectly and be better off road than dr650 **

I ride up in the rocky mountains and also wanted a dual sport that was more of an offroad performer, or in otherwords, the best of all worlds. I tried several of the dual sport models (DR, RMX, KLR) usually a little older, and went right back to a YZ450F. I felt the other dual sports were just way too much, in every aspect but power. Wide, heavy, clunky, bulky, easy to break - they just didn't make sense. I see them being great for a farmer who rides on his flat land and needs to use the road to get back quicker. I also missed the gearing of an MX bike with the extremely steep, rocky, high altitude terrain I ride, but that is obviously personal preference. That being said, a lot of the newer models (DR, KLR, RMX) are getting better with the bulky/clunky problem. All you see where I live are KTMs and the Yamaha WRs for the dual sports, which are way out of my budget. They have the road essentials while still keeping it a compact ride. Also, the only dual sports that are capable of riding an MX track or hitting jumps without looking a fool are the KTMs and the WR. The suspension on the DR, KLR and RMX are not made for that type of riding, and as a big guy, you might find the suspension on those frustratingly soft.

Besides the fact that I can't make my 2010 YZ450 street legal, it's pretty perfect for out here. I have a large group of friends and we are all on new 450Fs. With the fuel injection, you can map your bike for the conditions, regardless of gearing. I have a woods specific map, track specific map, you name it. I will never go back to a carbed bike.

Thanks that's experience I can really use. My issue was the soft suspension and heavy bikes. I've also been looking at the KTM 500exc curious how that will be. But no experience with KTM. Efi is definitely a plus I had am 08 450. I never considered getting it mapped for woods riding though.. That could of helped a lot. So far considering getting another 45 mx bike and just dealing with the little things that could be better since I think it'll still be better than a dual sport it seems. That or trying out that KTM 500exc

I ride up in the rocky mountains and also wanted a dual sport that was more of an offroad performer, or in otherwords, the best of all worlds. I tried several of the dual sport models (DR, RMX, KLR) usually a little older, and went right back to a YZ450F. I felt the other dual sports were just way too much, in every aspect but power. Wide, heavy, clunky, bulky, easy to break - they just didn't make sense. I see them being great for a farmer who rides on his flat land and needs to use the road to get back quicker. I also missed the gearing of an MX bike with the extremely steep, rocky, high altitude terrain I ride, but that is obviously personal preference. That being said, a lot of the newer models (DR, KLR, RMX) are getting better with the bulky/clunky problem. All you see where I live are KTMs and the Yamaha WRs for the dual sports, which are way out of my budget. They have the road essentials while still keeping it a compact ride. Also, the only dual sports that are capable of riding an MX track or hitting jumps without looking a fool are the KTMs and the WR. The suspension on the DR, KLR and RMX are not made for that type of riding, and as a big guy, you might find the suspension on those frustratingly soft.

Besides the fact that I can't make my 2010 YZ450 street legal, it's pretty perfect for out here. I have a large group of friends and we are all on new 450Fs. With the fuel injection, you can map your bike for the conditions, regardless of gearing. I have a woods specific map, track specific map, you name it. I will never go back to a carbed bike.

You have the option of re spring / re valve on the DR etc , this improves them a lot but they will always remain heavy .

It would be cool to have a street legal YZ450 :thumbsup:

WR450 if you hunt you can find an adult owned and maintained for under 4k. You can find new leftover's all day for just over 6k. That KTM is pretty...expensive. Just priced one for 9499. Hmm 6k for the blue bike take the left over 3k you would have spent on the orange and you can set up one nasty dual sport.

Edited by poconovfr