Sign in to follow this  

school me on the 13/14 450 flame out issue?

Not sure if its me just stalling the bike or the same flame out issue that the magazines mentioned. its not that bad, just now and then in the turns. Still, is there a consensus on a good fix other than bump up the idle like mxa and twmx mentioned? Im at 2000/2100 idle. 

I've had 2 13s never had it happen,current bike has a custom vortex with r&d throttle body.1st bike rode stone stock only one time ,never did it,after that it was remapped.I'm san diego so its very nice temp wise all the time could be why.They are very lean stock at least the 13s are.Remap different bike $50-100 with shipping

Edited by galligar

I have no flame out issue either- try the re-map. I did the sisneros for $50..I believe he does something for the idle circuit. the engine is stock except the remap and I removed the screen. idle set to 2k when warm...which is always in Az..haha

I think its just the rider

Very well could be. Still there seems to be some issues from several of the magazines tests but they just bumped up the idle. I was getting some sluggish throttle response off idle on the gate but it eventually went away. Guessing poor pump fuel.

Basically it's when you ride like a school girl and slam on brakes instead of railing ruts and banging sluts... Basically

Edited by Diggla117

I remapped my bike similar to what Dave Simmons had reccomended (do a search, youtube video is on here recently).  Zero issues.

A buddy rode my bike and he got it to flame out, but he blips the throttle like a 125cc 2 stroke rider.  He admits it is like a nervous habit he has.  No one else canflame out my bike except for him!

So it may be a combo of riding technique and mapping!

I remapped my bike similar to what Dave Simmons had reccomended (do a search, youtube video is on here recently).  Zero issues.

A buddy rode my bike and he got it to flame out, but he blips the throttle like a 125cc 2 stroke rider.  He admits it is like a nervous habit he has.  No one else canflame out my bike except for him!

So it may be a combo of riding technique and mapping!

hhmm +1 on the throttle blipping, its a 2t habit i guess.

I have major problems on my 2012.. same engine. 2000+rpm idle helps but flame out when cranking open the throttle when coming out of a slow tight turn is a major issue. Tried 2 remaps along with many other changes, tried the Injectioneering throttle body mod, even a Rekluse and she still has the same problem. I now believe it is the crap fuel in Jersey with too much ethanol. I have some VP T4 on order and hope that helps.  The smaller spark plug gap is interesting.. as the issue is the spark getting blown out when snapping open the throttle. Will try that if the fuel doesn't do it.

mike

I have major problems on my 2012.. same engine. 2000+rpm idle helps but flame out when cranking open the throttle when coming out of a slow tight turn is a major issue. Tried 2 remaps along with many other changes, tried the Injectioneering throttle body mod, even a Rekluse and she still has the same problem. I now believe it is the crap fuel in Jersey with too much ethanol. I have some VP T4 on order and hope that helps.  The smaller spark plug gap is interesting.. as the issue is the spark getting blown out when snapping open the throttle. Will try that if the fuel doesn't do it.

mike

funny you mention the t4, just got a can myself. will post up if it helps. Wonder if there would there be a big problem with say a 2200 idle or even a 2300?  I noticed in the honda manual between 2009-2014 they have gone with steady yearly increases from a 1750 idle to 2000+/-100. 

Ya gotta wonder. I posted about a month or so ago about by '12 450r and flameout issues. Granted, I am (was) a lifelong 2T rider/racer and thumpers are relatively new to me, riding style anyways.

I had an '05 450r for 5 years, rode and raced the hell out of it. 'Flameout' was not even in my vocabulary. Sure, I stalled it a few times over the years, but operator error. (panic back break lock up coming in to a corner too hot)

When I got the '12 I immediately started experiencing flameouts. I just about went over the bars feeling out a new track coming up on a blind double. Slow enought to see what was over the top then saw that I could launch safely. Cracked the throttle at the lip and poof! A flying W.  I pretty much did everything except crash. Tweaked my wrist pretty badly. (still hurts!)

Thought it was me and possibly the way you needed to ride a fuel injected bike... or something. I asked other people at the track and riding areas about their FI bikes and had they experienced any flameouts. They looked at me like a red neck in a rock and roll bar.

Then I searched the forums here and learned of the word flameout. Seems some have never experienced it and others have constant issues. I bough tthe '12 used, and the PO had the ecu remapped by Tokyo Mods. The input I got from TT members: "Send it to Eddy"  -- so I did. I have practiced 4 times and then raced a gnarly sand track last weekend in my Vet club. The bike ran like a champ! (even pulled a holeshot!) The only time I killed it was in the pits heading out to practice. I assume I didn't let it warm up enough, I blipped it like a 2T (old habits) and it flat quit. But other than that, knock on wood, I am very happy with my 4-Fiddy now.

Seems totally ridiculous to have to throw $$$ at a modern day bike to get it to run the way that it's supposed to -- thought it was suppose to come that way from the factory  :-(

Edited by tahoemike00

Ya gotta wonder. I posted about a month or so ago about by '12 450r and flameout issues. Granted, I am (was) a lifelong 2T rider/racer and thumpers are relatively new to me, riding style anyways.

I had an '05 450r for 5 years, rode and raced the hell out of it. 'Flameout' was not even in my vocabulary. Sure, I stalled it a few times over the years, but operator error. (panic back break lock up coming in to a corner too hot)

When I got the '12 I immediately started experiencing flameouts. I just about went over the bars feeling out a new track coming up on a blind double. Slow enought to see what was over the top then saw that I could launch safely. Cracked the throttle at the lip and poof! A flying W.  I pretty much did everything except crash. Tweaked my wrist pretty badly. (still hurts!)

Thought it was me and possibly the way you needed to ride a fuel injected bike... or something. I asked other people at the track and riding areas about their FI bikes and had they experienced any flameouts. They looked at me like a red neck in a rock and roll bar.

Then I searched the forums here and learned of the word flameout. Seems some have never experienced it and others have constant issues. I bough tthe '12 used, and the PO had the ecu remapped by Tokyo Mods. The input I got from TT members: "Send it to Eddy"  -- so I did. I have practiced 4 times and then raced a gnarly sand track last weekend in my Vet club. The bike ran like a champ! (even pulled a holeshot!) The only time I killed it was in the pits heading out to practice. I assume I didn't let it warm up enough, I blipped it like a 2T (old habits) and it flat quit. But other than that, knock on wood, I am very happy with my 4-Fiddy now.

Seems totally ridiculous to have to throw $$$ at a modern day bike to get it to run the way that it's supposed to -- thought it was suppose to come that way from the factory  :-(

So Mike. are you saying that Eddie's map pretty much cured your flameout issues?

mike

Edited by Tokyo_Tiddler

Just raise the idle for Moto. No issues on my 13 with idle correct.

Is there a consensus on how high it too high to raise the idle? I have mine at 2100-2200, about 100 rpm higher than recomended by the manual. Todays ride was good, no flame outs or stalling, I tried getting on the gas from an almost stop many times so far so good, using t4 fuel as well today.

So Mike. are you saying that Eddie's map pretty much cured your flameout issues?

mike

I'm giving a guarded yes for now. And I only say that because since the remap I had only practiced (about 1.5 hours worth) and then raced the same track a day later - it was a deep sand track, lots of slow rollers, deep whoops and nice railed/bermed corners so my riding style was completely different on that type of track. I tended not to do any throttle blipping like I used to do racing 2T's.

But that's just a theory about track types and throttle use. The bottom  line is I didn't have a single flameout on that track. (just one time in the pit parking lot lol, but my fault)

I'll have a better feel after I ride the track that I had the most flameout issues on.