is it a problem going to a 428 chain

i have searched and read many threads on the 428 chain

but after all that I am still keen to fit the bigger chain and sprockets for peace of mind

my main concern is whether it will rob the bike of noticeable  power

ktms and suzukis run 428 so it couldnt be that noticeable

thanks  

An o-ring chain might have a little more drag. Any difference in chain drag will be minuscule given equal type and quality. 

What's the problem with 420 chain? I've never heard of any chain failures, have you? Or is it that you want an o-ring chain? 

Where do you source the sprockets? Will the slider and guide be wide enough?

An o-ring chain might have a little more drag. Any difference in chain drag will be minuscule given equal type and quality. 

What's the problem with 420 chain? I've never heard of any chain failures, have you? Or is it that you want an o-ring chain? 

Where do you source the sprockets? Will the slider and guide be wide enough?

it just seem wrong that a bike with so much power runs what is essentially a chain for a 65, we had a cr85 and have new 428 rear sprockets from it, I just presumed it was possible to get 428 fronts, its more for peace of mind than anything else

Most folks I've talked to say a Renthal R1 Gold lasts a long time and is very strong. Good sprockets help. The stock aluminum sprockets may be light, but I'd be more comfortable with a Sidewinder or something else that is steel-on-steel.

Edit: Wow! Just looked up the Sidewinder kit: $299. That's a lot of cash for a little peace of mind!

Edited by Old Plonker

Most folks I've talked to say a Renthal R1 Gold lasts a long time and is very strong. Good sprockets help. The stock aluminum sprockets may be light, but I'd be more comfortable with a Sidewinder or something else that is steel-on-steel.

rumour has it that the Renthal chains are all Regina made in a Renthal box, WRP are again Regina  just in a different box too and usually cheaper.

rumour has it that the Renthal chains are all Regina made in a Renthal box, WRP are again Regina just in a different box too and usually cheaper.

wrong Renthal makes their own chains. No need to run 428 chains on these bikes. Never ever broke a Renthal chain, even on a heavily modded supermini. Edited by mxracermx

I have always used Renthal chains with steel sprockets. One ride last fall our chain broke, link plate pulled out of the rivet catching the guide bracket on the swing arm. This ripped the chain guide off the swing arm but the chain didn't snap. I had a chain on the shelf but wanted to do one last very muddy ride before changing. We would go thru a chain every 25-30 hrs of HS muddy racing. These chains are strong and will give you plenty of warning before any problems.

• 1 month later...

we recently went to a 428 sidewinder kit and had an issues with the modding the stock chain guide. It's wide enough to accept the larger chain.  I cut the slot in top the chain guide with an oscillating trim saw(that was the easy part) but making relief large enough for the o-ring chain was not so easy.  If anyone has any  suggestions for an after market solution that would be simpler please chime in.

Otherwise the quality of the sidewinder kit was exceptional(you don't need to buy the $299 one with titanium/lifetime rear sprocket, they have less expensive options but the the website doesn't make that apparent)

• Like 1