Sign in to follow this  

Possible faulty Off/Run/Start switch?

we have got a yamaha PW50 for our kids used. im not sure what the year is. we had it running about a year ago and it ran perfectly fine, no issues. then one day it started getting sluggish, not responding to anything passed 1/4 throttle. just bogged out and dies. i decided to get it out on sunday for the kids to ride and had forgotten about that issue. now they want it fixed so they can ride it. if it is on the kickstand with the rear tire in the air i can rev it up to full throttle but as soon as it is under load it doesnt want to respond. i had read something on this forum about how in the "start" position the timing is affected and wont let the bike rev up to avoid kids from taking off at full throttle. could this be what we are experiencing? i thought the carb might be gunked up and need to be torn down and cleaned, but have yet to do that. any thoughts? thanks in advance

Clean the on off plug connections behind front number plate. Also can't hurt to tear into the carb, clean both jets real good, make sure you can see through them ( small fine piece of wire) and clean filter while you're there. Takes 20 minutes total and might fix your problems.

Should be a reusable gasket on the carb. Check the airscrew. That carb responds incredibly to an air adjustment. Last weekend i dug the pw out for my son and it ran well. The next day was considerably warmer and it kept dying under throttle. Quarter turn of the air screw and he rode for an hour. Ive noticed they load up incredibly easy. Even with a downsized main i put in i still take the throttle stop screw out and run it wide open for a few seconds on the stand until it cleans out.